• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Almost Time

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tx50cal

40 Cal.
Reaction score
19 days until the Texas spring squirell season. I am chomping the bit. I am ready to smoke some limb bacon. Is anybody else ready for a spring season? I have the .32 ready. The boy is ready too.

mrfishnhunt said:
19 days until the Texas spring squirell season. I am chomping the bit. I am ready to smoke some limb bacon. Is anybody else ready for a spring season? I have the .32 ready. The boy is ready too.
I'll be getting up at 4:30am tomorrow for my Turkey opener here...I've been ready 10 times over...just need the turkeies to cooperate!
:thumbsup:

mrfishnhunt said:
If you get one show us pics.

Now that would definitely be a good opening day !
Never know what to expect...there are resident turkeys where I hunt...saw a Tom just last Saturday strutting in a favorite field strutting zone they use every year but I might not hear or see a thing tomorrow...that's hunting.

(but rest assured I'll be set up in the back corner of that strutting zone field before first light :grin: )

You actually hunt squirrels?

Man, it must take a few to make a meal. :rotf: :hatsoff:

I sure wish we had squirrels like yours to hunt. That would be a blast I bet. I visited the wifes family in New Hampshire once. I brought my 2 2all the way down there to try and get one. Never saw a one!

Oh well, maybe one day.

KHickam said:
You actually hunt squirrels?
I've found squirrel hunting with my Flintlocks very enjoyable...have gone out after them a few times the past couple fall hunting seasons...don't see many but have bagged a few...

Mr. alaskasmoker,
Can't tell from your bio if you are actually located in Alaska or not. Here in the Interior, we are overrun with the rodents. No closed season where we live but they (Red Squirrel) are smaller than the lower 48 Grey Squirrel.
Taste good though!
Best Wishes

Im in Anchorage.
Yes we have lots of those red squirrels but eating them?

How would you cook those?

I dont think I could do it.

I've heard those ground squirells we have up here are not bad eating, and they are pretty big.

We have red sqirells here that we call fox squirells. They are MUCH larger than the greys that I hunt. I have heard that the reds taste like pine trees. I have absolutely no complaints about the greys, good eating.They are also very easy to dress.

Any recipe you have for cooking chicken can be used for squirrel, but I recommend that you don't try roasting squirrel, as the meat has no fat, and will dry out and get tough long before you think its cooked. Stay with WET recipes.

I was served squirrel soup one day at a goose hunting club in Southern Illinois. It was basically a homemade vegetable soup with chopped up bits of squirrel in it. It was very good. The squirrel pieces were very tender.

My wife has a receipe that she uses for either squirrel or rabbit, that is really good. She calls it "barbque squirrel or rabbit" and it's like eating "sloppy joe" sandwiches.

Back