• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Alvin C. York Memorial Shoot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You might as well send in your registration and bring yer gun! I thought I was going to have to shoot it with my longrifle again this year, but a friend in my club just built a light chunk gun and wants me to take it down and see what it will do. From the one session I've had with it, it shows some potential. We're having a chunk shoot here Saturday and some of us are planning to go to Louisa, Kentucky the next Saturday for a "tune up" shoot to get ready for the Big Show at Pall Mall.

The last I heard, there'll be a half dozen or more delegation from the French Broad Rifles of western NC...Kelly Pittman has built a new gun, and watching him practice tells me I'm right to stay home..Hank

There should be 5 or 6 of our guys going. One of them has just finished a nice underhammer. Another has won the York shoot at least twice before. Like I said, I had planned on using my flint longrifle again since I piddled around and didn't build anything this year, but another club member who is a prolific gun maker just finished a new rifle and since he ain't going this year wanted me to use it. He just happened to have a 30+ year old Douglas 1-1/8" .50 barrel that had never been fired. He stocked it and cobbled together a lock from old parts and took it out and shot a quarter sized group at 50 yds with it off the bench. I've tried it out off a chunk on a windy day and managed to get a decent group at 60. I need to tweak the sights and get a better load worked out. And I'll have to change my sighter somewhat to fit the sights which are different than my regular rifle. The only drawback to this gun is the barrel is rather short for in my opinion for a chunk gun. But, at least I won't have to stand on a box to load it!

I've shot in the York match almost since its beginning. However, I didn't go last year, and this year I just hope to drive up for the day. Pall Mall is about a 3 hour drive for me.
I've never really been competitive since I don't have a chunkgun. I usually score somewhere in the middle of the pack. I use my .50 percussion longrifle.
I have a .45 chunkgun barrel by Rayl, but I botched the stock, then got involved in other projects and so I never finished the gun.

Well, I had planned to go to these shoots since they started, but never got to go till last year. Pretty pathetic, huh? I used a .40 flint longrifle I built and managed to finish at 76th out of 215. I was pleasantly surprised to finish that high considering everything. I can only hope to do better this year. No matter what, it's a great place to go and meet other shooters, not to mention the locals who were extremely nice to us. And it's always a pleasure to visit with Andy York. Hope to see you there!

By the way, Ed Rayl breeched the Douglas barrel on the rifle I'm using this year. He does some fine work. He lives about an hour and a half northeast of me. He's a member of our club, though he hasn't been out to shoot for quite a while.

I'll be there. I'm hoping for some dry and windless weather the next couple of weeks so I can get some much needed practice.

We're planning to have a small "practice" match tomorrow after our regular shoot, but the weather is supposed to be in the tank. I'm hoping it's good enough that I can at least bench this new gun and work on the load. There's going to be another "tune up" shoot near Louisa, KY next Saturday and some of us are planning to go. I hope we have weather down in Pall Mall like we had last year. That was nice! We were even able to take baths in the Wolf River that weekend.

See you there if the Lord's willin' and the crick don't rise!

Changed my mind. I won't be driving up there for the day, after all. I just calculated that the round trip will cost me about $70.-$80. just for the gasoline.
Gas prices are starting to hurt. I can't justify that much money just to go up and stand around jawing with old friends for a few hours.

Rancocas...I'm 76, I suspect a lot older than you...I assure you I'd gladly spend $80 bucks for the chance to jaw with some old friends, but I won't get that chance this side of the Pearly Gates...don't deprive yourself..go...Hank

Hate to hear that. I can't blame you though what with gas being what it is. There's four of us carpooling and taking a camper, so that helps. It's still going to hurt. That digs into my barrel money. Guess I'll just have to win one! Yeah, right! Who knows though? Even a blind hog will find an acorn once in a while.

Well, if ye change your mind, we might run into each other. :thumbsup:

Hello Group,

tidbit here.

Could someone please tell me where this shoot is located? Directions would be helpful. The first time I went to Friendship it seemed like I was never gonna find the place.

I have never been there and would really enjoy going.

thanks,

tid

It's located in Pall Mall, (Fentress County) Tennessee. It's just off Highway 127 about 15 miles north of Jamestown TN.

You can find pretty good directions on MapQuest or better yet, get a good Tennessee map. I don't have mine here at this time. I-75 is probably the nearest interstate. You get off of that road at the Renfro Valley Exit in Kentucky. Until I find my Tenn. map, I'm afraid I can't be of much help. I was riding with some other guys and though I navigated with the map, I can't remember routes real well unless I'm the one driving. (I'm too busy just looking at the scenery).

It is very near the KY state line on the route that Jed said. On the map, just look at the KY-TN state line just east of central TN and west of I-75 and look for Pall Mall near Jamestown.

If you want to shoot, the pre-registration cut off was yesterday, Mar. 15th. I don't know if they will allow walk-ons, but they might if they haven't reached the 230 shooter cut-off. Last year we had 215 shooters. If you're not too far away and you're interested in this type of shooting, it may be worth it just to come and watch and see what it's all about and meet some great people. If you have a traditional rifle, (flint or percussion), bring it along just in case. You will need some type of target holder, a sighter and a chunk of wood to support your rifle on. (This is a prone position shoot). This is unlike any other target shooting. Hope to see you there!
:thumbsup:

Saturday, March 29th. You can sign in and set up camp any time after noon on Thursday. As noted before, the shooter pre-registration cut-off was yesterday the 15th.

On a recent road map that I have Pall Mall is mislabeled as Wolf River.
But, like others have said, follow RT. 127 north from I-40 at Crossville, TN., or you can come down from Albany, KY.
There is a lot of new road construction going on 127 where it drops off the mountain and goes down into the Valley of Three Forks of the Wolf where the shoot is located. The drop off has been a bad spot for landslides for many years, and the road crew is working to fix that. They say the project will take 2 years to complete.

Back