• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

American Stocked Brown Bess?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hollandbriscoe

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I was at colonial williamsburg this past week and noticed something rather interesting in the Governors mansion. There was a Brown Bess with a tiger stripe stock. This was an original gun. Were there any besses made here in the colonies or was this possibly an american restock.

Jack

I can see the American colonists gathering a brown bess that had a broken stock and having one of their gunsmith makes a serviceable gun out of it...

However, I suspect they would use the same wood they were fitting their guns in, this leads me to believe it's an after the fact custom job...

On the other hand, the Governor would be one of the few that could afford a Brown Bess with a tiger stripe stock... :hmm:

NO " True Besses" were made in the colonies. BUT The Amer.s during the Rev. War made copies, called Provincial or Commity of Safety muskets.

"Real" "besses" would have been READLY avail. Either because of Brit Mil. service or being issued one as a member of a "local" Militia,(as required by law, prior to RW)

As to the "fancy" stock, Officers had besses made for them w/ fancy stocks (one is in the Smithsonion (select walnut checkering etc.) This could have been in this catagory, but stocked in Amer. W / Maple :hmm:

Puffer

During the war, broken guns were recovered and sent to gunsmiths to be reassembled into functioning firearms. It's not unusual to see a gun with a Bess lock and Charleville parts. So, seeing a Bess with maple stock would suggest "American" lineage to an otherwise British gun.

I saw a French model '63 musket restocked in curly maple once in the Dixie Antique Gun listings. It was a beauty. I think there was a lot of restocking and refitting going on if the surviving specimens are telling the truth.
Don

This is not surprising as Turner has a reputation for refurbishing a pile of parts and calling it an antique.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

Back