• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ami San Paolo pistols

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. I have several ASP's including 2 1860 Armies. Very nicely made, and as was said, they later became Euroarms. I wouldn't hesitate if the price is right.

My wife bought a 58 NMA in 76, she gave it to me maybe 10 years ago.

This last year I could not stand it anymore and got setup to shoot it. I had sworn off BP pistols back in about the same year as they said to put Crisco over the bullet and what an awful mess. Whatever I had bought I sold.

Ok, taking hers out I learned a lot shooting it. First the half cock timing was wrong. I don't think it had been messed with but she was shooting with a friend back then, the screws were not marred and extremly tight. I did not even know what the half cock was supposed to do. The arms of the Bolt or the pin was wrong.

Other than that it is a nice gun. Action is slick, kind of S&W modern revolver like. Decent quality in my opinion and I don't see anything off putting and in fact it was nice enough action that I got lured in.

I then bought a 58 NMA Pietta, got a spare parts set for it. Looked at the bolt for fix of the ASP, it was wrong on the latch end. but I filed it down and got it to fit through the slot and amazing it worked, so I got half cock working nicely.

Now I was getting up to speed so this was all new to me. I latter found some decent pictures and the Uberti bolt looked identical to the ASP bolt, so I got one. It did not work at all. So I put the modified bolt back in and there she sits.

I have not found it to be all that accurate. Gave up and got hooked on a Ruger ROA and Uberti 47 Walker because I was having fun. Those are good enough at 25 yards I can get decent groups and the ASP was not. Cylinder reaming may help, different powders but I did try various 777 and Pyro P loads.

I don't know if that is typical, not many out there or reported here. I have RS powder now and GOEX so maybe should try those one of these days.

The cylinder are tapered, so they don't shave lead but they seal a .454 ball well, did not try a .451, getting into iffy chain fire. No idea if reaming cylinders would help.

I have one in the 1858. All the parts of a DGG Lyman fit it. Salvaged the parts off the Lyman that had a badly pitted barrel. The only fitting I had to do was shorten the hand a little.

As for the OPs original question. If the price is right for you, by all means get it. I've had ASPs throughout the past 15 years or so. Never had any issues. They all shot high as most of them revolvers do. But center was good.

And that fills in things. The ASP I have needs to be at 15 yards and has like 6 inch groups (if you can call 6 inches a group)

Still a nice gun and I would take a chance on one for the right price.

Several of my Remington ASPs will take a .457 if you speak nicely to them, and with that ball they group much better at 25yd than with a .454. They shave a healthy ring of lead. Can't say if I ever tried it with the Armies?

This. I have fit Pietta parts with a little hand filing before.
I think the Pietta cylinder will fit the ASP. I do know the Pietta hammer is wider and will not go in the ASP. The bolt is also a different shape. Now this is for the 58, I don't know about the ASP Colts.

I have an ASP 58 that was built from a kit. The hammer was soft and the full cock notch disappeared shortly after I started shooting it. A friend fitted a current Pietta hammer to it which required narrowing on a belt sander. He used all the Asp internals otherwise. A Uberti cylinder is too short but will function with a very large gap.

I have an ASP 58 that was built from a kit. The hammer was soft and the full cock notch disappeared shortly after I started shooting it. A friend fitted a current Pietta hammer to it which required narrowing on a belt sander. He used all the Asp internals otherwise. A Uberti cylinder is too short but will function with a very large gap.
I have a buddy did the same thing. Narrowed the hammer. And the Uberti cylinder fits the same way in a Pietta.

Back