• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

An Expedition Against Ye Squirrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SgtErv

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I have not hunted in over a decade. Something about being overseas and traipsing the woods with modern weaponry just didn't jive well, so I hung it up. But then I started shooting flintlocks...

After spending last winter, spring, and summer shooting a lot, learning the weaponry of yesteryear and learning a ton from gentlemen on this forum. Early this fall I hiked around a few locations around me, Wildlife Management Areas mainly, and found a great spot called Snake Hill. There are a great many oak trees, decently mature ones at that.

So this morning I did it; loaded up the Brown Bess with a shot load that's worked well and headed out. I'll be darned - what a wonderful thing. I didn't know what I was missing all those years until I smelled the fall air out in the woods this morning.

I only saw one squirrel, and I missed him...twice...from about 30 yards out. :redface: I was using a paper cartridge packed with a little with tow wadding, 90 gr of 2F Goex and 90 gr of #4 shot. (Thanks Loyalist Dave - it works well at the range). I plan on switching to 6 or 7 shot and going to the range and seeing if I can get a little more lead in the air, so to speak.

Anyway...all in all it was a darn good day. I am just thrilled that I got back out there, and really excited to do it again.

Thank you, too, gentlemen, because I believe reading of your enthusiasm and fun helped me rediscover a pastime that brought me a lot of joy back then. :hatsoff:

Good to hear that you're enjoying traditional muzzleleoaders. Its great that they've helped you enjoy hunting and being out roaming the woods with a gun again! :hatsoff:

BRAVO and thanks to you too.

HEY don't feel bad. I missed TWO last Saturday. Yeah, #6 is a good switch, and you might try reducing your powder. A huge factor is having cartridges that just fit into the barrel. A good wad-seal makes a huge difference.

Spence has a very good website of his own, and he shoots a lot of smoothbore and harvests a lot of critters. He's got loads that have about 1/3 more shot than powder, so try using the measure at from 90-100 grains for the shot, and use 60-70 grains of 2Fg for the main charge..., in your Bess. Also because you're shooting the Bess with that honkin' tall bayonet lug/front sight post... try to get as low a sight line as possible on the barrel (but the dang thing tapers) and then hold "lollipop" style on the squirrel. It's a bit different than shootin' "center mass"...kinda old school and I don't know if they teach it anymore...,, you put the front sight post on the bottom edge of the back circle on the target forming a "lollipop". So shoot at the lower edge of a squirrel running sideways, and at the lower portion when they are climbing up or down. Try it at the range to get the hang of it if you've never used it before.

The Bess is shooting an ounce and an eighth of lead when launching a .690 ball, and a an ounce and a third when shooting a .730 ball, so you're not going to stress your gun shooting shot loads of those sizes.

LD

It's always exciting to read about someone discovering, or rediscovering, the fun of squirrel hunting; especially with black powder weapons. In Missouri we are blessed with a season that runs almost 8 months and I am out there all the time blasting away at the bushy tails.

Thanks for sharing and keep us posted on your progress.

Darren

Hunting small game is a great way to enjoy the woods! Glad you're rediscovering it and doing it with a "primitive" weapon just adds to the excitement and pleasure. :thumbsup:

Personally, I've never had much luck with equal powder and shot loads. My best shot patterns come when I have more shot than powder by volume. I understand your caliber is a bit larger, but in my 20 ga I like 50 gr of 2F and 1 1/4 oz of #6's for squirrel.

Good to hear.
While there is lead in the air, there is hope.
The more lead, the more hope.
O.

Thank you sir for the time you spent serving our country!

I too am glad that you have found the joy's of black powder! Especially Flintlocks!

Keep at it and Good Luck out there!!

Thank you fellow mtn. er for your service and glad you have found happiness in the woods with a ml. Hope it will get even better for you. Dan.

Back