• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

An Interesting Pistol/Quality Service

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A short while ago I acquired this interesting Flint double-barreled pistol. The workmanship of the builder (unknown) is excellent. The stock is walnut and nicely carved, the barrels are .45. The locks are L & R. I had a chance for one shooting session with it, and from that, I determined that a few mechanical/geometry issues needed to be resolved. The Manton style locks were, apparently, of an older model from L & R and as such, the clearance of the flint and frizzen at half cock was too small. Fitting a flint was difficult at best. Also at full cock, the throw was again, in my opinion too short to allow enough momentum to get a good scrap. The touch- holes were too small and I experienced a “flash in the pan” far too frequently.

The touchholes were easily adjusted. To correct the throw, I emailed L & R. Response was almost instant with suggestions for the solution. I opted to send the locks back to them and within a week, including shipping, the locks are not back in the pistol as can be seen in the images. L & R refitted new hammers with now adequate clearance and throw. The locks spark beautifully. I have built a few guns with their locks and cannot praise them enough. Service is of super quality.

IMG_6121_zpsufjvdna3.jpg

IMG_6122_zpsuw8r5lp0.jpg

IMG_6126_zpsqvtnryzc.jpg

IMG_6124_zpspazreqhk.jpg

IMG_6123_zps3plomp4u.jpg

IMG_6129_zpstpopctkm.jpg

IMG_6128_zpsm0g7oenp.jpg

IMG_6127_zpskpf3zcuw.jpg

That is one drop dead georgous piece, I'm green with envy. Is it quite a bit heavier than a single barrel?

Very cool indeed! C. S. Forester had his hero, Horatio Hornblower, carry a double-barreled pistol in at least one of the later novels, IIRC.

Back