• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another BP ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trdixon1

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I just receive 10 lbs. of Goex black powder in the mail today. Will it be safe to store it in my garage as long as it is not in direct sunlight?

kansan1 said:
I just receive 10 lbs. of Goex black powder in the mail today. Will it be safe to store it in my garage as long as it is not in direct sunlight?

It should be fine in a cool dry place. And you may have won a Federally sponsored vacation to a Caribbean Isle! Room reserved by the fun loving folks at Homeland Security! All Expenses Paid!
You're gonna love Guantanamo! I hear they have a new sport called waterboarding down there. Not sure how it's done--sorta like surfing maybe? :rotf:

Just ordered 25 pound myself. I've shot some pretty old powder stored in a dark wet basement and it shot great, but of course the best enviroment is cool, dark and dry.

kansan1 said:

Make sure all the lids are tight and store it out of sight. Remember that BP is not all that powerful. It is possible to fuse the center can (bottle?) in a 25 pound case and only set off a few of them the rest just get scattered around.

Dan

My god! Cool, bp by mail! In Germany an impossible thing. bp must be fetched by the dealer on your own and in many areas we have not much dealers. Furthermore you are only allowed to store 1 kg (2 pds) in your house and another 3 kg in a empty building/cabin beside your house (no garage).

Regards

Kirrmeister

I've got some Dupont 4f that is at least 60 years old, and it's just fine ... ignites immediately. I love to drag it out and light a little to dispel dumb myths about the limited storage life of black powder. :grin:

Cool, bp by mail! In Germany an impossible thing.

Same thing here in the USA. The United States Postal Service (USPS) does not allow BP, & numerous other 'hazardous' materials to be shipped through the mail. However other carriers such as United Parcel Service (UPS), will carry BP as long as certain requirements are met.

I buy it by the case, usually with a couple of friends splitting it. Last time I bought, I wanted both 3F and 2F and only 1 friend wanted to go in on it. So now I've got about 20 cans of 2F, 3F & a couple of cans of 4F.
I store it in my basement but it gets kind of damp in the humid season around here, so I store the cans in ziploc freezer bags and then I put those in a steel grenade case my uncle gave me in the 70's when I spent a summer with my cousins at Newport Naval base.
Out of sight, hopefully dry and very well protected. Doing it this way for years but it's a far cry from taking my empty can to the GOEX plant for refill for $3 like I used to do.

Back