• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another CVA Hawken Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grullaguy

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have had my ""new to me" Hawken out a few times and have noticed that after firing, the hammer is back on half cock. Is this normal?

I got a Investarms and it does the same thing but not every time, dont seem to matter much as I have to full cock to remove the spent primer any way

The hole in the nipple is most likely burnt out and when you shoot the increased pressure from the burnt out hole kicks the hammer back! Put in a new nipple. It could be a weak spring but I would replace the nipple first.

The hammer being blown back to half-cock is usually an indication that the flash hole in the nipple has enlarged, and/or the hammer mainspring has weakened. Try replacing the nipple and see if that takes care of the problem. If not, then a new mainspring may be in order.

One of the above is probably the culprit. More than likely you need a new nipple. Whatever the cause it needs fixing as it`s hard on your lock to have the hammer blown back into the tumbler notch like that.

You didn't say what projectile and powder load you were shooting.

With a heavy slug and a large powder load the hammer can be blown back to half cock even if the nipple is in good condition.

If the nipple is new or the hole thru will just barely allow a standard paper clip to pass thru it, blow back is a sign of a weak mainspring or excessive breech pressure.

I am using a 10 grain kicker of Goex FFF with 55 grains of Pyrodex CTG. I have had a beast of a time getting ahold of powder and only have about 100 grains of black and the can of CTG.

My nipple hole (at the bottom) is so small I doubt I could fit a paperclip in. I have contacted CVA to ask if they sell mainsprings or if I have to contact **** Creek - "you know that other place".lol
CVA left an out of office reply, so I will have to wait until tomorrow to hear more.

I have had problems in the past with misfires and have mostly remedied them by taking the outside nipple diameter down a bit with some emery cloth and seating the cap using the hammer every time before firing.
The mainspring is looking like the most likely culprit.

I have to agree that a 65 grain powder load should not set the hammer back to half cock if the hole thru the nipple is that small.

CVA will tell you to contact Deer Creek because they sold all of their spare parts to them.

Deer Creek doesn't have a Web site or an E-Mail address so you will have to call them.

Here is their address and phone number

Deer Creek Products
6989 E Michigan Rd
Waldron, IN 46182

(765) 525-6181

My .36 does that also. My load is 30 gr FFF and a patched 348 RB. It is a side slapper so the nipple ends directly into the combustion area of the bore. I solved the problem by drilling a small hole crosswise throughthe base of the nipplem to vent off the gasses upon firing. I don't remember the drill size, mabey 3/64. that solved thr problem and I have had no reliability issues because of it .

Latest posts

Back