• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

another notch for the seneca

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daniel collums

45 Cal.
Reaction score
i got in my shooting house today around 4 pm, i just got seated good when a buck came out,i hadn't even got a cap on the seneca when he came out. he was way out there over half way to the end of the field and my plot is 320 yards to the end. i got every thing ready and started calling to him with a doe in heat can call. he looked my way and just stood there, i hit the can again and he took a few steps closer. i sat there for a couple minutes and he turned away and started walking. i hit it again and blew my grunt call, he stopped and turned and started to me a few steps and then he started running. he got to about 90 yards and stopped looking right at the shooting house. i had the bead right on him and he turned to the right and started walking towards the creek, i called with the grunt call again and he stopped. i took careful aim and boom, the smoke cleared and he was on the ground. hes a good buck but only a 5 point, i didn't get back to the house till after dark and its raining, i got him skinned and in the cooler on ice and just got the little .45 cleaned. i will get a picture of him in the morning. when i took the shot i guessed it to be about 90 to a 100 yards, i stepped it off when i walked back to my shooting house and i came up with a 136 yards. i was using 80grs ffg with the prb and i held over his back about 4 or 5 inches i think. i hit high but it took out his spine and made a pass through. extreme damage, i was aiming at the heart/lung center but hit way forwards high.

Your having too much fun with that gun :rotf: Glad ya got him. Be looking for the pics. Dan.

DSCN1664_zps39539f63.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Congratulations on a remarkable shot. I've killed more deer with .45s than any other caliber. The .45 is the 30/30 of yesteryear.

well it was a real heavy misty rainy afternoon and i was having a hard time seeing, and top it off with the smoke from the shot i didn't get to see him fall and it took a good time for it to clear enough to even see him on the ground. i did hear a good thump when the ball hit the bone. my neighbor told me today that it made a hard thump/splat and he thought i done shot that big hog he saw last weekend. my ears have just stopped ringing, it happened so fast i didn't get my earplugs in. thats the only drawback to shooting a short barreled rifle out of a shooting house made of tin.

Congratulations! Sounds like you worked him in with those calls to perfection. It's pretty cool when they start running at you. Years ago when bowhunting I had a buck do that and he came to within five yards of my tree. They know exactly where that sound is coming from!

Amazing damage for 136 yards. Glad it all worked out so well. :hatsoff:

They know exactly where that sound is coming from!

It is amazing how game can zero in EXACTLY where a call came from. I have called in turkeys from 200 yds with a single hen call....they came to me fast and where heading DIRECTLY at me when My buddy shot the lead tom! Do they know the woods that good or just have bionic GPS hearing? I'd say both!

Nice deer! I love it when game shows up so fast! Except then I get to be the camp cook :shake:

Latest posts

Back