• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another Stock Wood Question - Is Poplar Acceptable?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Poplar is a soft wood. Its not really suitable for stock wood.

You might get away with using it for a very small caliber such as 32. It will be easy to work but don't expect it to take much use.

Hi,
Are you referring to wood from trees in the genus Populus (aspen, cottonwood, etc) or the genus Liriodendron (tulip or yellow poplar). The former have fairly strong but very light wood and the latter is heavier and denser. Neither would likely make a good gunstock. Yellow poplar used to be common as a base wood in furniture that was covered with veneer. It is greenish white in color and has straight but very boring grain. In my experience, it easily acquires the color of mud when stained. On the other hand, yellow poplar trees grow tall with few lower limbs, which creates a lot of clear wood on the bole. However, it is usually not sufficiently hard and dense for a gun.

dave

Nope, :nono: it would be a poor choice. Too soft. It takes paint like a champ but doesn't take stain worth a damn. Don't waste your time trying to make a stock from it. :shake:

Billnpatti said:
Nope, :nono: it would be a poor choice. Too soft. It takes paint like a champ but doesn't take stain worth a damn. Don't waste your time trying to make a stock from it. :shake:

what that Texican fellow said ... :metoo:

All of the above and it smells like cat pee when you work it :rotf:

Birch and Beech are suitable, but less popular woods that were used if you are looking for something other than the (standard) maple, walnut or cherry.

Flame Birch can look as attractive as curly maple, but often costs more and is more difficult to find.

Poplar's "claim to fame" is it's (current) use for hardwood trim (painted) in new homes. And rest assured it didn't replace oak or maple because it was "better". It's a cheap hardwood with little other use.

I will often use poplar for a "try stock" to get a custom fit for some one who wants a custom fit gun, Then when every thing is "worked out" I make a final stock. Poplar is easy to work with but I doubt it would hold up under use. :idunno:

Well guys. That pretty well takes care of what would have been a bad idea.

(It's not all that often one sees such total agreement on a forum. :grin:)

Back