• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

antiquing horns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brain

36 Cal.
Reaction score
i have a powder horn i assembled years ago. it's nothing fancy.....at all. but it's mine and i like it.
since then i've learned about bone and horn antiquing formules.

can i antique a horn that already has the butt plug in it?
the wood is unfinished, what if anything will happen to the wood if i get an of teh solution on it?

Brian,

You didn't say what you were going to use to antique the horn. If you are using aqua fortis and you get some on the buttplug it will turn it a brown color. If you are going to soak it in a dye bath it will also take on some of the color.

If you like how the buttplug looks now, just put a clear finish on the buttplug and that will protect it from either aqua fortis or a dye bath.

Me, I just do the antiqueing to the buttplug at the same time I antique the horn.

Randy Hedden

i'm guessing what i was planning on using is a dying solution? something called old bones, says to mix an ounce of the stuff with a gallon of water.then repeatidly dip tip the look you like is reached.

what would an aqua fotrised horn look like?

Hi Brain,

I antiqued a horn and plug using Old Bones a couple of weeks ago. It took about 60 minutes in the solution to get the color I wanted on the horn. The plug came out stained a dark brown. I'm very happy with the way the whole thing turned out. Good luck with your project.

John

JohnZ said:
Hi Brain,

I antiqued a horn and plug using Old Bones a couple of weeks ago. It took about 60 minutes in the solution to get the color I wanted on the horn. The plug came out stained a dark brown. I'm very happy with the way the whole thing turned out. Good luck with your project.

John

Careful guys,

If I am not mistaken "Old Bones" is a chromic acid staining compound that can turn your wood to an ugly green color over time when exposed to sunlight.

Randy Hedden

I'm currently looking for some kind of solution to antique bone. Could you guys tell me where to get the solution your calling "Old Bones"
TX!
Bob

Hi RP3543, I've never used "Old Bones" so I can't help you there . What I have been using is a mixture of onion skins, and apple cider vinegar. Bring the solution to a boil, then either imerse the horn, or apply the solution repeatly with a brush until you get the colour you like.
TOOK THIS HORN FROM THIS............
roughhorn-B.jpg
[/img]

TO THIS..............
roughhorn-C.jpg
[/img]

Soggy,

Nice lookin' horn. I've always liked horns with plugs that fit the shape of the horn rather than making the horn round to fit the plug. :thumbsup: GW

You can get ''old bones'' and ''aqua fortis'' from Log Cabin.
[url] http://www.logcabinonline.com/[/url]

Used that old bones solution once and didn't like the result. Better result I got using (might sound funny the first stuff) earl grey tea, onion covers and applewinegar.
Here are two examples of usin that method.
[url] http://cows-finland.org/kuvagalleria/displayimage.php?album=48&pos=16 http://cows-finland.org/kuvagalleria/displayimage.php?album=135&pos=8[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Soggy/Blackhand,
Nice Horns! I was thinking about just boiling in tea, maybe I'll try that first. Thanks for the tips!
Bob

brain said:
i'm guessing what i was planning on using is a dying solution? something called old bones, says to mix an ounce of the stuff with a gallon of water.then repeatidly dip tip the look you like is reached.

I believe potassium permanganate is the active agent in 'old bones'. Anyway, I've had good, very quick results on bone and horn with a fairly strong solution of pp [something like a tablespoon of granules to 4-6 ozs. of water] brushed on to the entire piece, or just to accent certain areas. Allow to dry, buff with coarse cloth and redo if a darker tone is desired.
~Longshot

It's a mixture of two horns. An original Comanche horn collected about 1840 and one reproduction fur trade era horn.

see my post in craftsman under gave birth yesterday

a horn can be aged and antiqued any time.

decided to play with it this afternoon.
i like the way it came out. i just need to scare some tacks up i and i think i'll call it good.
horn.JPG

hornB.JPG

:grin: Looks good to me. I'd say you added about 150-200 years to it in a matter of a few minutes (or few hours). So what did you finally use for a solution?
Soggy

this stuff.
judging by it's purple color, i'd say it's the potassium permangante stuff.
OB.JPG

so i just flogged the whole thing, for about 45 minutes.

Back