• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anybody "making smoke" in the morning?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Supposed to be 19* at 6:00am tomorrow...truck's loaded for a .54cal Flintlock session at the range...gonna be a tough battle between the alarm clock and the electric blanket!

Real funny :shocked2: Making plenty of smoke right now just threw a couple more logs on the fire as the oil burner sings in the background. About 0 again tonight like it has been the past couple weeks. Good news is though it is at least cold enough that I can fire up the wood furnace and stay down here cool enough to enjoy it.

You see when it is cold and I get the stove fired up enough to help heat the house it gets about 80 down here in the celler I can handle that when everything else is cold. So If I try to shoot tomorrow I will be dealing with single digit temps so that ain't gonna happen. I should shoot my air rifle tomorrow though I do need to practice.

19 degrees? We haven't been above 15 around here in two weeks. Makes the shooting sessions short and sweet. At least the snow stopped...for a while.

I saw where there was 6 feet or more out there from the "lake effect"...I left the Albany, NY area in '63 and haven't missed the snow a bit...not many things as pretty as a new fresh snowfall, but the the aftermath can be a PITA
:grin:

Ice fishing with a bonfire (smoke anyway), homemade cider (XXX), and venison .

Have fun RB :thumbsup:

I would love to, but it's been around -30 for the past 2 weeks. I think I will make a loading block, or something else in the basement.

Hi guys it was 82 this afternoon but have a cold front commint thru tonight expect 66 for high tomorrow. Ya'll have fun with the snow and stuff have a good day shooting.
Fox :hatsoff:

Hi guys it was 82 this afternoon but have a cold front commint thru tonight expect 66 for high tomorrow. Ya'll have fun with the snow and stuff have a good day shooting.
Fox

Do ya have to rub it in? We will have a high of about 25 tommorow. I may brave it though because I bought a Hatfield rifle that I have yet to fire!

Scott.

I have got to make some smoke tomorrow. I've had this 36 caliber for almost a month. Cleaned the barrel twice, and because of the wet weekends haven't got to shoot it. There's no rain in the forecast, just gotta bust a cap!

I live in NY's Mid-Hudson Valley, and we have an inch at best on the ground with many bare areas. A four hour drive to Camden, NY, where my daughter lives brings you into 50" of snow. Just a little north of her in the Tug Hill Plateau area, there is a town that shows 120" of lake effect snow on the weather map. Yikes!
Larry

In this weather I am concentrating on maintaing equipment that has gotten away from me. Sewing up that rip, waterproofing them extra pair of boots and detail stripping the varmint rifle to give it the deep cleaning it did not get last Fall. Frankly, I do not enjoy freezing my fingers any more than shooting elephant guns. Yes, I am just like a dog that stays close to the stove.

The only smoke around here will be coming from my snowshovel handle.I've had to shovel 7 times in the last 36 hours.Must have close to 3 feet on the level in the last week.Looks like a trip to the range is out for awhile.

Hey, you folks are getting hammered there. What is the outlook? More on the way or what? The news just said Redfield NY (where ever that is) has 107 inches. Here in SE PA we have had a remarkably mild winter in terms of snow. Cold - yes, but no snow. And -- take it easy on the shoveling (I am not being a smart a$$) take frequent rests and watch your hydration!!

I don't know how long I will last but I am heading up to the range right now. Three different conicals, roundballs, and Goex 2 and 3f.

Hoping to get at least 12 shots before I freeze.

gee i gotta go with halftail on this one,,this shovelin things gettin old,,,,the wind has been awesome here,pretty sure i'm shovelin the same snow i did before..it jes keeps movin! tried the snowblower,, but the neighbor down the road got upset,,i didn't know i could get it to go that far! still comes back,plus some of his...then the blower broke,,,guess i'll be playin snowblower fixer instead of shooter..oh joy!

Boy, I gotta feel for you guys on the eastern half of this governmental nightmare.
Wehave had our cold spells, our pitance of snow and a pretty good wind storm, all over the past 2 months. I think folks would do poorly here if they had to endure the conditions you all are having now!
Our shooting over the winter has been good, although I got cold last weekend shooting/scoring the rondytrailwalk at 28* of damp cold, my only gripe!
To add insult to your injury, the temps have been pushing low 50s daytime and the flower bulbs are starting to push stuff up outta the ground!

the morale here...
...this is all almost over!

We didn't get the 8 feet like the folks north of Syracuse or the 5 feet that fell between Dunkirk and Buffalo. Somehow, most of Chautauqua County was spared. We only have about 2 1/2 feet and it's cold :shocked2: ! Makes rabbit hunting pretty miserable, especially for my Jack Russel terrier. I'll be out in my driveway pretty soon to shoot some balls into my snowbank backstop.

Just got back...up at 6:00, 19*...the good news is there was no breeze...sunrise was absolutely gorgeous!

The 40,000 BTU radiant heater sitting atop the 20lb propane tank 6' behind me made my area feel like 50 degrees!

Ran 50 of Hornady's finest[url] downrange...made[/url] a courtesy check with my farmer friend to confirm turkey hunting this spring...came home to hot coffee and home made bacon biscuits...a great day to be alive for sure!
:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Bless ya roundball! sounds like a great day...now can i borrow yer heater...my shovel handle's awful cold.....hmmm, maybe follow yer example............................................................ :hmm: ...coffee break! :winking:

Back