• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone Shooting a Green Mountain IBS on their T/C?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tripleh said:
if so,hows the fit? hows does it shoot for you?,what caliber?

I am shootin a TC Renegade with a Green Mountain IBS 1" 50 cal slow twist PRB percussion barrel that shoots great and I like very much!

At this point in time it shoots far better than I can! Great barrel IMHO! Other than some minor adjustment at the ramrod entry .. no other mods done. :thumbsup:

Davy

I have .32 and a .40 GM drop-ins for my TC Renegade. They fit in with no extra work and shoot great! Track of the Wolf has had the best prices. I have seen these barrels listed on ebay too.

tripleh said:
if so,hows the fit? hows does it shoot for you?,what caliber?

I have the following drop-in barrels for TC Hawken stocks:

15/16" x 33" .54cal Flint Smoothbore
1" x 33" .58cal Flint Rifle
1" x 29" .62cal Flint
1" x 33" .62cal Flint Smoothbore

Functionally they all perform in an excellent manner, and I like them all...there are some minor issues to be aware of though:

They all come with black thinbles and black aluminum ramrods, and to make them match Hawken brass furniture, I had to replace them;

On two I had to remove the underrib and shotern it 1/8" to clear the front of the brass nose caps.
(NOTE: probably more of a manufacturing tolerance issue on older TC stocks than on the GM barrels)

Because the wedge pin tenon is externally screwed onto the bottom of the barrels, instead of being dove-tailed under the barrels, they hang down much lower into the ramrod channel and block them from sliding in. Fortunately they're very thick so I was able to use a belt sander to ground off about an 1/8" of material to allow the ramrods to clear them, without making the tenon weak.

All vent liners are simple set screws with a relatively small hole drilled through them, and I replaced them all with TC's excellent, redesigned fast liners;

Bluing is not as deep and strong as on TC's barrels...ie: the bluing on GM barrels seems to burn off around the vent pretty quickly from the pan flash.

So the message is be aware that while they're called "drop-in" barrels for TC's, there are a few odds and ends to deal with...however, in spite of that, GM barrels are functionally excellent and I use / enjoy mine a lot.

I got a drop in barrel for christmas, for my 50 cal Hawken. Unfortunately it did not drop in, not even close. Checked the underrib, no problem with clearance. It looked like it was making contact with the channel all the way to the brass nose piece. I called Track of the Wolf, where I got it from. They said that they do get reports that on certain guns the barrel will not fit without modification to the stock, apparently this was a run of guns from Thompson that made years back, and they thought my gun was one of them. Out of curiosity I called Thompson, they agreed this was the case, and offered to fit the barrel for me. Since I paid less for the gun than the barrel and it shoots OK, I did not bother and got a refund. I know several people who shoot this setup, and they are very accurate shooting guns.

Not yet, but I am strongly considering getting a .54 in 1:70 twist. Would also like to have a .32 for squirrels, etc.

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but why would someone buy a GM barrel from TOW for $178, when they can buy a T/C RB barrel from Foxridge for $185.

Thanks,
Robert

I got the .54 cal. , 1:70 twist roundball barrel , for the Renegade I built from a kit in the mid 1980's . It shoots so well , that it makes the TC barrel look like a piece of junk IMO . It fit my stock perfectly , the only modification I needed to do was to file down the ends of the woodscrews that held the plates for the barrel key , because the loop on the GM barrel is wider than the one on the TC barrel . IMO the money I paid for it , was money well spent ! :thumbsup:

But your comparing a GM slow twist barrel to a stock T/C 28" 1:48 twist barrel. I am asking about a T/C 32" 1:66 twist barrel.

Thanks,
Robert

Sorry about the misunderstanding Robert , I'm slow with the keyboard . I had started writing my reply before yours came up :haha: . You are correct , I was comparing it to the barrel that came with the kit , which is a 26" , 1:48 twist . I have no experience with the TC roundball barrel .

Hi Robert,
One reason is that GM offers a .54 slow twist PRB barrel in the 15/16" barrel profile. This makes it a drop-in for all the .50 T/C Hawkens that abound. I've got one and it's a great shooter. Seems to work as well with 295gr. Power Belts as it does with PRB...wasn't expecting that. If you want a .54 from T/C it has to be in the 1" profile...too big for the .50 Hawken stock.

Another reason is that GM offers fast twist (1 in 28") barrels that drop into either Hawkens or Renegades. This makes them capable sabot and conical shooters. I've got two of these, one blued, the other stainless. The blued barrel is another great shooter, haven't tried the stainless one yet. To my knowledge, the fastest twist available from T/C for these rifles is 1-in-48".

A third reason is that GM offers a .58 with the slow PRB twist and offers smoothbores in calibers from .54 to .62; T/C doesn't.

Fourth, T/C doesn't offer stainless barrels for the Hawken/Renegade.

A better question might be why T/C doesn't offer all the options that GM does? They're obviously into switch barrels big time with the Contenders and the Encores. Why couldn't they see the appeal of this concept with their 'traditional' muzzleloaders?

It is a mystery.
Bob

So, in my case. Since what I really want, is the longer 32" slow twist barrel, for my T/C 50 cal. Hawken, if I order a T/C RB barrel, without the AQL, I will have a barrel that will shoot as good as the GM, but will already have the brass ramrod timbles and wooden ramrod to match my rifle.

Thanks,
Robert

Robert58 said:
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but why would someone buy a GM barrel from TOW for $178, when they can buy a T/C RB barrel from Foxridge for $185.

Thanks,
Robert
TC doesn't make any smoothbore barrels and they don't make a .58cal RB barrel...GM does.

Robert58 said:
So, in my case. Since what I really want, is the longer 32" slow twist barrel, for my T/C 50 cal. Hawken, if I order a T/C RB barrel, without the AQL, I will have a barrel that will shoot as good as the GM, but will already have the brass ramrod timbles and wooden ramrod to match my rifle.

Thanks,
Robert
Exactly...Fox Ridge makes .50cal 15/16" x 32" x 1:66" and .54cal 1" x 31" x 1:66" barrels...specify for the Hawken and that'll ensure the brass thimbles.

I'll add this from my experience...unless they've recently changed, the wooden ramrods that come with TC's RB barrels are junk and I won't trust them.

I don't even try to use them...I replace them all with brass to avoid a problem...which actually look great with all the brass furniture too.

Robert58 said:

Thanks,
Robert
I've never paid that much for a GM drop-in.

Thank you for answering my question. I have a solid brass ramrod that I use to shoot. I put the wooden ramrod back in, for looks, to hang the rifle on the wall or show someone.

Thanks again,
Robert

So where can you get the GM drop-ins for less. I haven't seen for less that TOW

I dont know for how long but on GM website they have a internet special Stainless 15/16 50 cal 1 in 28 drop in for $125.00

DonS

I have had a .50 for years, I got a TC hawken for payment with a shot barrel, that shoots extreemly accuratly. I just bought a .40 from TOW in december. It is as good or better than my .50. Both fit goo although I had to trim the under rib on the 50 a bit.the 40 gets a round through it almost every day out the back door of the shop into a snow pile about 75YD away. A Coke can is dead at that distance free hand. The extra weight is a bit more steady. Buy one.
Shoe.

Back