• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Apprenticing to a master/learning to build longrifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA Prof

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Due to her getting laid off and hired downstate, Mrs. PA Prof and I are pulling up the stakes and moving to the vicinity of Shippensburg, PA (not too far from Carlisle and Gettysburg). I've been shooting flintlocks for a few years now and am almost finished my first kit, which is a Kentucky pistol .54 cal from Pedersoli.

I went to Dixon's last year and was amazed at the size and enthusiasm of the community. For some time I've been thinking about learning how to build traditional PA longrifles from scratch or close to it, and since we're moving to one of the heartlands of the trade it seems like a good time to try to find a master willing to take on a part time apprentice or simply a school that can teach me. I've done okay with my first kit but think I could really use the guidance of someone who knows what they are doing. Does anyone have any ideas on how to go about this or who to start by talking to? Any wisdom is greatly appreciated. :grin:

If you have been to Dixons you have been to the best place to start. Go again and ask! :hmm: :hmm:

You could give Fort Chambers Shop,3292 Blackgap Rd. Chambersburg,a call 717 263-2223
You may want to post your question on this site .

In two weeks I am taking a 6 day class at Cabin Creek in Hallam PA. I will be building a Pennsylvania mountain rifle from on of his custom kits, I am very excited about taking this class like you I have wanted to build a rifle for some time but just wanted the tutelage of a master to work with me and now this is my opportunity.

Thanks, I agree, I am planning on the photo documentary, if not for anything but to add to my project book.

First off, I'd study all the "how to" books and after digesting the info, a "LR parts set" {kit} would be in order. These are not the "factory, sand, finish and assemble kits". Completing a "parts set" would give you some idea on how things go together and some training in elementary inletting, shaping and finishing. W/ this accomplished, attending suitable seminars to further obtain increased skills will speed up the learning process. Building from "scratch" is dependent on your confidence and skills, but after building 2-3 "parts sets" a jump to a "scratch build" should be possible.
Don't think many "masters" would take on a learner, especially one w/ low skill levels....the "master" probably earns his living from his "builds" and can't afford the time to teach elementary techniques. Some part time builders are very busy and are also hesitant to teach a beginner. That's why the process in the preceding paragraph is important.
I served a 5 yr tool & diemaker apprenticeship and in order for a journeyman to teach an apprentice, there had to be an advantage for the journeyman...only half my hrs were put against the job, but the apprentice's skills had to be advanced otherwise the journeyman didn't "get his money's worth". Same goes for the relationship between a "master" gunbuilder and the learner.
The "Gunbuilding Tutorial" by Mike Brooks and available on this website has excellent pics which really "clear things up"
Good luck on your quest....Fred

Do what SR Chief suggests and talk to Jim at Ft. Chambers. He might be able to steer you to someone who might be willing to at least show you some things. It's just a few miles down the road from S'burg. To be honest, I don't know anybody in that area who is a fulltime builder, but I don't get up that way as much as I used to. There may be somebody though. And like was said earlier, it's tough to get on as an apprentice anywhere, especially if you don't already have the basic knowledge and skills to at least do the simplest tasks in the shop. And a one or two man shop is the toughest. But, good luck and talk to Jim.

Gentlemen, thanks so much for the help, contacts, and replies. I'm looking forward to continuing the journey. It seems like I've got my work cut out for me, but I'm in this for the long haul. Some phone calls and a LR parts kit or two seem to be in order. The next few months will be busy with our move and a bun in the oven, but I'll keep everyone posted on my progress.

Blue skies & happy trails,
Rob

Back