• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Appropriate Fix

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have an old German percussion target gun that has a loose cock fit on the tumbler shaft. I removed the cock and put a few shims on the square shank of the tumbler and it tightened right up. Is there a better fix for this situation?

As long as it stays tight it should be fine. Another way is to use a center punch to peen the edges of the square hole in the hammer. It can be done on both the inside and the outside that is covered by the hammer screw. This brings up another question. On a percussion gun, as opposed to a flintlock, is it a hammer or a cock?

Thanks Crisco,

I thought about doing just as you said but figured I'd try the shim first. Also this doesn't have the typical large head screw like most to secure the cock/hammer. It is a threaded bolt that has a little tapered nut that screws on, not very wide at all.

A couple pictures of the nut that secures the hammer.
lock 3.jpg
lock 2.jpg
lock 1.jpg

Just stick with shims on an old original gun. Some hammers were tempered hard, and may crack if hit too hard. Smacking on a fine old original part with a hammer and cold chisel is wrong , anyway.

It is pretty interesting. The barrel is marked Breuer in Weissenburg. It is about .62, I shoot a .595 patched with .010 patch. Bore isn't pristine but it is super accurate. It is a heavy barrel gun, probably weighs 14lbs. Nice carving and engraving. Horn muzzle cap. It has a metal hook towards the muzzle that looks like it was made to be hooke/ rested on something when shooting from a bench.

No. No punches. That’s defacing something that will be worth more $ unmessed with.

That rifle is a work of art. Smacking around on it with a hammer and punch is akin to restoring the Mona Lisa with a wire brush and 80 grit sandpaper!

Back