• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

aqua fortis

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy Tuftee

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Once you apply and buff aqua fortis,what is the best way to neutralize the acid from the metal parts it contacts
thanks
Tufman

You should apply the aqua fortis with the gun completely dissassembled and then only to the wood if possible (inlays excepted). Develop the color with heat then neutralize with a paste of baking soda and water, allow to sit and rinse with water.

Remove ALL metal from the wooden stock.

Apply AF.

Use a heat gun or use a coleman stove turned up on high to flame-heat the wood. Notice that the stock will change color when you apply the AF. It will change color again as you heat it. The hotter you heat it the darker will be the end result. I LIGHTLY charred the finish. Perhaps TOASTED it is more proper term.

I finished my rifles with traditional BLO and beeswax melted just to a liquid. Sop it on and scrub with a wad of burlap until you begin seeing pattern develop.
8738Pc040004.jpg

This is what it looks like when it was finished. The light isnt just right there, but the stock has a beautiful pattern to it. In the sunlight it just glows.
8738Dsc00237.jpg

It makes the curl come alive. It moves like a hologram when you move it in the sunlight.
873853calHawken_and_Buck.jpg

There, you can see it in the sunlight. It has finger prints on it, but then that's part of the hunt.

Latest posts

Back