• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Arizona Elk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MFP308

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Sent in my draw application on the 14th of this month. I'm trying to figure a way to get drawn more often by putting in for cow and bull plus black powder for both. We'll see if it helps. Wish me luck.

Mike

How much is the Arizona non-refundable elk drawing fee? Do you have to hunt on Indian reservations or are there state and federal lands open to elk hunting that are half way decent to hunt? Looked into Arizona elk hunting some yrs ago and found it too restrictive for non-residents. Colorado was a lot better and much more reasonable price wise for non-residents but that's also changing. Montana and Idaho aren't friendly to non-residents w/ all their restrictions. Good luck ....Fred

The tags are $121.50 refundable if not drawn. Most of what we hunt is state and federal land. To hunt on reservations you have to apply to the reservation and it costs more like $350.00 or so. There a number of units that are great to hunt if you can get away from the other hunters. 3a-b is one of my favorites because it's closed to motorized travel of any kind. You hoof it or ride a critter. Helps to know somebody who has some pack animals if you fill your tag. 6a is a good unit as well but you have to work harder to get away from people. There is a reserve in 6a that's similar in restrictions to 3a-b. If I'm drawn this year in 6a I plan to head up in there.

Thanks Mike!

Mike

Fred, here's hoping the non-resident fees keep going up!! It's getting so you can't be alone anywhere anymore.

Ya gotta stop hunting the roads.... :grin: ..Where we hunt seldom see another hunter..I guess it's too rugged for most...Fred

I saw plenty of elk on the roads in Arizona - coming down I-17 south of Flagstaff - it was crazy with all the elk crossing the highway

Probably good hunting nearby. We hunt the San Juan Nat'l Forest in SW Colorado and rarely see elk even on the forest roads, yet this area has very high elk numbers. Our camp is at 10,000 ft and we hunt up from there to approx. 11,000 ft. Just from the altitude aspect, one has to be in excellent shape to fully enjoy the hunt. The terrain is very steep and that's the reason the meat has to be backpacked out. The closest outfitter refused to bring his horses in, even for a generous sum of money. A few times we started packing out at 6PM and arrived in camp at 3AM. Should have started elk hunting earlier but did hunt this area 'til 74 yrs old. All the hunts since '86 were w/ MLers. Saw many bears and 2 cougars while elk hunting...quite a sight....Fred

We hunt from 6,000 ft on up to about 10,000 in some areas. There are good numbers in our elk herds but you do have to do your work to get on 'em. One year we covered a great deal of ground and didn't scare up a thing. Had a great time but on our way out of Flagstaff we saw six bulls sitting in an open field between homes. They're not stupid evidently.

Mike

Back