• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Armi Sport/Chiappa or Pedersoli

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMiller

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've decided on the 1858 Enfield as my first ML, and have been looking at the Pedersoli and Armi Sport/Chiappa reproductions. I have heard mostly good reviews about the Pedersoli, and checked one out, the musket looks to be well made, but, haven't found much about the Armi Sport/Chiappa. Does anyone have any experiance with the A.S. version, are they as well made as the Pedersoli? I have found some good prices on the A.S., but will spend the extra for a better quality musket.

don't have 58 but do have a euro-arms 53 enfield and compared to others its a little heavier. check all out if you can. prices vary a lot by manufacturer. All are nice though.

I have a couple of Armi Sports, a `53 Enfield and a `61 Springfield. I have not found a load combo that will give me pie plate accuracy at 25 yards in the `61. The `53 is a little better, as I can get pie plate accuracy at 50 yards, but that's pretty woeful performance. I feel that the stocks on both of them are too beefy, and I abhor polyurethane finishes. But they were relatively cheap.

My Armi Sport is a Fremont, .69 caliber musket with 33" barrel. The rifling is shallow enough that getting accuracy with round ball has been an adventure.
I slip a super magnet wafer under the rear sight to get the elevation where I want it for my load.
The lock work, barrel bands and wood are great. The fit of the barrel and bands to the stock are precise. If you are familiar with the lock up mechanism of the front band, it is a precise and perfectly positioned click when it locks.

magneticunderladder_zps941af898.jpg

muzzle_zpseac8b4a6.jpg

The finish had to be rubbed down to remove the excess stain visible in the photos. The lock made me crazy until I learned screw checking and tightening that this cannon needs. The threaded end of the military ram rod necessitated that I make a brass extension to carry in my pocket if I'm going to load round ball and clean in the field (as opposed to sitting at a range bench with a box full of stuff and range rod.

I have a 3band enfield from armisport. 3 inch groups at one hundred yards. Don't know about Pedersoli. Also have an euroarms musketoon I haven't shot it enough to find out what it likes. When I finally get a 2band it will be an armisport.

What load combo are you using? I haven't found it yet.

You're right about that shallow rifling.

60 grains swiss 2f and a lyman 213 old style minnie ball.with this load it shoots to point of aims.

would avoid armisport, ive got one of their 69 cal rifled muskets and ive never been any to get any kinda grouping with it. my india made smooth bore can out shoot my armisport with ease.

i would suggest pedersoli, my pedersoli longrifle can easily do 2" groups at 50 yards and 3.5" groups at 100. thats with my poor shooting, many can do even better.

-matt

I got to take a look at an Armisport 1853 Enfield, and passed it up for a Pedersoli 1841 Mississippi rifle. I was looking for the 2 band Enfield, but the Mississippi was on sale, and because it was the display model, was clean, they polished the brass, and wiped everything down with oil, no rust, or signs of the typical abuse found with most display models, got another $40 off. I will eventually get the Enfield, but couldn't pass the 1841. Thanks for the info on the Pedersolis, and Armisports/Chiappas.

Usually the Pedersoli will cost more but quality wise is worth the extra $$$$$. I own several Pedersoli and find they shoot good groups also.

2FFg53 said:
don't have 58 but do have a euro-arms 53 enfield and compared to others its a little heavier. check all out if you can. prices vary a lot by manufacturer. All are nice though.
Likewise, I have a Euroarms 53 Enfield which i was shooting just today. I have no idea about Armi, but Euro arms is good stuff. :thumbsup:

I have own a ArmiSports Enfield before and it shot better then all the rest . Got clover shots with it at 50 yards .

Back