• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Armi Sport Kentucky Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spring

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I came across a repro Kentucky Rifle made by Armi Sport (Chiappa). $500 CDN. .45 cal. 1-920 mm twist (whatever that is)

What can you tell me about it. It sure looks pretty. My guess is its likely marginal for Whitetails. But if it is a tack driver at the range I think I might consider it.

What say you? Deal or no deal?

Cheers!

Brother, You asked about this rifle yet and got 3 answers :)
920 mm twist = 1/36, but Your rifle has in fact 1/32 or 1/31 twist.
Read my answer to Your first topic about Armi Sport Kentucky characteristics. I can only tell You more - 500 Canadian dollars is a little too much. 300 - 350 would be correct.

You would be much better off to add some to your $500.oo and buy a really plain FL rifle from one of the builders. Most of these cheap imports come with problems attached, and built in.

Spring said:
I came across a repro Kentucky Rifle made by Armi Sport (Chiappa). $500 CDN. .45 cal. 1-920 mm twist (whatever that is)

What can you tell me about it. It sure looks pretty. My guess is its likely marginal for Whitetails. But if it is a tack driver at the range I think I might consider it.

What say you? Deal or no deal?

Cheers!

As has been staited 1:920mm is quite a fast twist (for shooting round balls) and is more suited for shooting conicals. What you haven't said is, is this a new or used rifle. From my limited knowledge of currency exchange I would say $500-C would be margional for a new rifle, but for a second hand rifle I would have to say pass on this one.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

Spring said:
TooMuch

$500 CDN is NIB.

Cheers!

In that case I would have too agree with the earlier post by Bartec and others that $500 would be on the high side of acceptable. If this is realy what you want, and you can't find a more reasonable price someware else then go for it. Or you could put a few more dolars with it and get just what you want built by one of the fine 'smiths that share this forum.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

I saw the same rifle at Marstar for $499 CDN:

http://www.marstar.ca/gf-armisport/ArmiSport-Kentucky-rifles.shtm

I almost bought it but then I decided I wanted a heavier calibre. It seems that similar guns generally cost 30-100% more in Canada than in the USA, regardless of what the exchange rate is. I would recommend you look on the 'net at the many fine American mail order houses that will gladly ship flintlock arms to you in the mail. I was looking for a Traditions Pennsylvania flinter a few months back and didn't get a single Canadian quote under $700, but down in the USA they were selling for $480-500. Modern rilfes are even worse. An old Yugo M48 that goes for $150 in the US will cost you $400 here in Canada. Lever-action guns that stores in the USA sell for $400 brand new cost almost $900 here.

You do not need any special permissions or clearances to recieve flintlock long-guns in the mail from the USA, however make sure the vendors mark the customs delcaration as "flintlock antique" to pacify any nervous nellies at the border. I got a used Pedersoli Mortimer in .54 cal for $599 US from TOTW. The same gun would have run me at least $1250 CDN brand new in Canada. They mailed it to me from Minnesota with balls and flints and some other stuff with no problems whatsoever. The only bummer was that I had to pick it up at the post office because I had to pay like $70 GST on it.

MikeFromOn

Thanks for the info. The $500 CDN I was quoting was Marstar. They had a booth at a show at VanKleek Hill a couple of weeks ago.

I never considered going stateside. If our feds will let it across with minimal hassle it is certainly worth considering.

Cheers!

I have one I haven't fired yet. Seems like junk to me. The trigger pull was about 60 pounds initially. I have that fixed, but many couldn't have done that work. The ram rod is loose and the sights are pretty crude. I hope to make it useable and see what it shoots like soon.

Bought one 2 years ago, couldnt get it to fire reliably (flint/frizze wrong angle), there were large gap between frizzen/pan, trigger pull *very* heavy, in short the lock was a piece of....junk.
converted it to percussion (after waiting 7 months for the lock). now it works.
shoot ok. well, better than i aim, anyway :grin:
still wish I had gone for a better gun.

Back