• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

As good as its going to get this year...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Now I just need a Tom to drag his beard across the 40 yard line...
:wink:

032109FlintlockFringedCuffSleeve.jpg

Looks like you are all set and resay to go, I went to the edge of twn testerday to look at a roof for repairs, it's out of the city limits but has a group of six houses in a cul de sac with a huge Oak grove up the hill and across the road a bit I counted 24 Turkeys and 10 were nice Toms and when I was on the roof I saw two of the houses had people out feeding them, you could probably hit one with a rock, but NO HUNTING signs are everywhere.That is typical of the Turkey release program in this part of the state the birds settled in on the fringe and on private property where there is little access.

Looks like you're ready to rip. Your rig came out nice. :thumbsup:

Can't wait to get my new-to-me fowler patterned.

Been seeing Toms strutting all week here during my work travels.
Hope they ain't done by Ct's lame late start May 6. :shake:

Wife and I went for Yotes this Morning. No dogs or Turkeys moving at all. Maybe it was the balmy 18 degrees. Seen plenty of deer milling around .

rubincam said:
-----is the sleeve permanately attached to rifle-----
Oh no...just a sleeve that slides on and the rear end is tied to the front of the trigger guard.
Two cutouts for the sights and two thin suede straps around to ensure the material stays flat on top between the sights...but the oiled suede is so limp that just its weight keeps it laying flat on the top flat

bucktales said:
rig came out nice
Fella in Colordao made the lace-on butt cuff for me and I made the barrel sleeve as that part was simple.

For spring turkey, not wearing any heavy fall/winter hunting clothes, the LOP on the T/C Hawken is borderline to short for me wearing just a T-shirt...so the lace on butt cuff, in addition to covering all the brass from those wary old Tom's eyes, also covers one of those cheap rubber slip-on recoil pads underneath it that gives me another inch of LOP...fits great that way.

RickD said:
I really,really like that butt cuff
MLF member Freedom745 in Colorado made it for me.

He happended to have a T/C Hawken on hand...so I mailed him the slip on rubber recoil pad, he put it on, figured out this design, made measurements, etc.

Hate to be a pain but would you mind emailing me a close up of how its fastened??

RickD said:
Hate to be a pain but would you mind emailing me a close up of how its fastened??

I can explain it easier...I had it made to lace up with a 'tongue' in the middle...just like when you put on a boot and lace it up...the 'tongue' material lets you lace it onto slightly different sized stocks, etc.

Just imagine unlacing that rawhide lace you see running along the side and pulling the bottom halves apart like you'd do after unlacing a boot

UPDATE

I just swapped butt cuffs...the one in this photo below (made by MLF member 'Swampy') color matches the barrel sleeve I made a lot better...they're both cow-hide, where the fist butt cuff is Elk hide.
I moved the first butt cuff to a .28ga smoothbore I want to try on a few skeet targets later this year (see smoothbore section)

032209MatchingFringedcowhidesued-1.jpg

Back