• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Assembling the 1858 revolver.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pittsburghunter

50 Cal.
Reaction score
After three times at the range I did a complete tear down and now I am having issues with the sear holding at both cocked and 1/2 cocked. This is the first time I tore the gun down so I just need help on the reassebly process.

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Not sure what you mean. Are you saying that when you pull the trigger, the hammer stops at half cock rather than striking the nipple? The two common mistakes most beginners make is putting the cylinder hand in backwards, and the trigger spring in upside down. The latter being my guess.

Hope this helps.

Any help? It will cock and and the trigger works fine but the bolt does not line up right and it will fire from half cocked. Also the bolt will stay in the "cocked position" not allowing you to install the cylinder. I noticed that the bolt has a split end that is made from from very thin steel does this go on opposite sides of the hammer? Could I have it going in wrong?

All I can suggest is take it apart and try it again, using the diagram link above. I don't have my 58' anymore. You said the bolt has a spring steel piece on it. That is the "hand". Got it mixed up somehow? Not that I think they would swap. Can the hand be on backward?

(added in edit... Actually you didnt say "spring" but what you described sounded like the hand to me, sorry if I got that wrong.)

Might look for a better diagram on the internet. I doubt a gunsmith would charge much to put it together for you, and he might discover you got it right, but it is broken somewhere. Good luck, sorry I cant help more.

Jeff

Make sure the screw that goes through the trigger also goes through the "cylinder bolt". It's usually called a cylinder stop.

Once you get it right, let us know what the problem was.

It was a silly problem I guess I did not have the trigger pulled to "fired" before I inserted the cylinder bolt. Funny it almost worked the way it was.

Thanks for the help guys.

Back