• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Austin and Halleck going out of business rifle needs help asap!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylorh

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Heres the deal. I bought two percussion mountain rifles from A&H last week for the price of one. Today they arrived. Oh the dissapointment! The first rifle had a good lock and barrel, but the stock was actually missing a piece where if fit up against the lock near the tang. The second rifle had the set trigger screw fall out of it when I lifted it out of the packaging. I found the the screw hole was striped out, and that the lock didn't function properly. The first rifle's lock functions as follows... When the hammer is at full cock, the most forward and rearward triggers will not drop the hammer until the rear trigger is pulled to set the first. This is different than my Renegade which will fire without the rear most trigger being set, although it is much harder to pull (cold weather hunting trigger) compared to when it is set by the rear trigger. The second gun's lock (the one the screw fell out of) will drop the hammer if either trigger is pulled, reguardless of which trigger is pulled first. Does something seem screwy here? Please make comments as to what you think I should do. And if there are any A&H owners out there who know how the triggers are supposed to work, please let me know. Lastly, both guns are manufactured with a shim-plate between the lock and the wood. The fit between these plates is kind of rough. Looks like a haven for rust to me.
Taylor in Texas

Hi Taylor. I also bought 2 Mountain Rifles from them recently, one flint, one percussion. I got lucky and both of mine are flawless.

The front trigger should fire, set or unset. I suspect the screw that fell out is effecting it. Are you sure it's stripped? Sometimes a little Loctite is all that's needed to keep them in.

On the trigger group that the screw didn't fall out of, it sounds like it just needs a little adjusting. You can usually adjust them to be set trigger only, front trigger only, or both.

A/H is selling "first quality, factory new" rifles, and as such, I would think they would trade yours out since they aren't living up to their advertising. You might call them and discuss the problems. They're really good folks and willing to work to make people happy. When I talked to them last, they still had quite a few of the guns left.

If the rifle with the stripped screw hole is a good rifle, you might ask them to send you a trigger group, rather than trading rifles. I know they have trigger groups as I ordered one as a spare. Maybe swap the chipped rifle and get a new trigger for the other.

Swampy is right. They let a lot of lemons slip out and that hurt them badly. I'm sorry you ended up with some. They're a very good gun when you get one that works right.

Unfortunately I'm sure its striped. I can loosely thread the screw in about half way (wobbling all the way), then when it is about two thirds in, I can move it up and down like a plunger with my finger tip. On the second rifle I adjusted the lock all the way in and out, and still I can't drop the hammer unless the set trigger is pulled first. I did email A&H and will report back to you guys when I hear from them.
Taylor in Texas

You might try giving them a call. Sandy is a good guy and knows his stuff. If the trigger can be adjusted, he'll know how. Hang in there. I'm sure they'll work this out for you.

I you can't get any satisfaction from A&H, you should be able to fix them yourself.

The one with the trigger problem sounds like the triggers were not set deep enough to engage the seer properly. Inletting them a little deeper may fix the problem.

The one with the stripped trigger adjustment screw sounds like it needs another screw. The only thing this controls is the engagement of the rear trigger with the first. With it out you should get more creep than with it properly adjusted. As for the lock not functioning properly, in what way is it not functioning?

I would love to buy one of their flinters with a 1:28 twist, but they don't ship to Canada :( . Does anybody know of a shop or other business in northeastern NY that could recieve one for me? How long is the turnaround on orders from them nowadays?

I,ve been trying to buy one for a week now but they wont take phone orders anymore...they keep refering me to a website which is not working. I'm frustrated to say the least. :cursing:

Well I emailed Sandy Chisholm about the problems and he emailed me back, and told me to either just send in the rifles for a refund, or have them repaired locally. But he didn't offer to pay for the repair, so I'm going to send them back tomorrow. I'm a little disapointed, but thats life. Hope the rest of ya'll do better.
Taylor in Texas

MikeFromON said:
I would love to buy one of their flinters with a 1:28 twist, but they don't ship to Canada :( . Does anybody know of a shop or other business in northeastern NY that could recieve one for me? How long is the turnaround on orders from them nowadays?

Mike I got my order one week from the day I placed it. One of those days was a holiday, so it was actually 6 days.

Capt. Willard said:
I,ve been trying to buy one for a week now but they wont take phone orders anymore...they keep refering me to a website which is not working. I'm frustrated to say the least. :cursing:

Email them. They will tell you how to get ahold of them and give a number. I had to leave a message, but he called back the next day and was very helpful and easy to deal with.

Taylor, that's a shame. I wish you had gotten good ones. They're really a good shooting gun. If A/H could have got a grip on the quality control issues, they'd have gone a long way in the market. I always hate losing factories that make traditional guns.

When I E'd them yesterday I got it back this mornning not a word on it? FRED :hatsoff: the real winner is NMLRA mag MUZZLE BLAST in Oct they ran a 6 pager on how great the in -li.. :cursing:520 12g shotgun is ...hey maybe they just switched sides about like NMLRA has. :blah:

c'mon olson - un-called for. some of the spanish rifles make fine entry level guns. i'm still shooting a 30 year old cva frontier rifle. tack driver .45 :thumbsup:

Plink..I have emailed them three times with the same result..their reply is a link to the non working site. I wont send credit card info over email ..its not secure. So ..I guess I'll just wait till they do something or miss out I guess. You'd think a company going outta business and trying to pay crediters would jump at a sale but go figure.

Olson, I tend to agree with you about guns made in Spain. I don't know what other parts A/H has made in Spain other than the barrel, but the guns are known to be extremely accurate. I haven't been out with mine enough times to have them dialed in right, but they're shooting pretty impressive groups so far.

I know A/H had their stocks made by Boyd and that they ran operations out of the NAA plant. Maybe they made the locks and triggers at the plant? The sad part is it's the stocks and locks that are the usual complaints. The barrels are great.

Latest posts

Back