• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"authentic Colt series"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveM45

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Steve here, and here's my first of MANY stupid questions. On the site GunBroker, there are many "authentic Colt blackpowder series" revolvers for sale. Reproductions of course, by Colt which I believe are no longer made. They clearly have "Samuel Colt" stamped on the backstrap. Is it recommended that these are for collecting only? I want one I can actually shoot. I've always been a purist and would love the "real thing", but if other companies make a fine 1861, I'd be happy with that. Also, which companies make quality reproductions? Thanks for your time and advice.

There are a number of past threads here on the Forum that you might want to read re various makers of BP revolvers. It sounds like you are talking about the "Signature Series" Colt replicas sometimes called "3rd generation" These guns were not made or sold by Colt - they just sold the right to use the name. They are perfectly good to shoot and do not have the collector interest (or prices) that the "2nd generation" which were actually sold by Colt do. Uberti makes a perfectly good reproduction of a number of Civil War era revolvers and the newer production Piettas seem to have better quality control (and adherents) than those of some years ago. The steel frame guns are sturdier than the brass framed ones & the 1851 Colt Navy is pretty much the standard for comparison for all the BP revolvers. There are some .44 caliber "navies" out there which can be fun to shoot but have been made to meet today's interest in that caliber as the original "navy" models were all .36 caliber. Use caution - it seems impossible to only have one BP revolver. :wink:

Durn that the truth. "Coot" has hit the nail on the head. Uberti and Pietta are the only Italian manufacturers left making fine replicas of the Colt revolvers. The rest have gone by the wayside.

On many of the Black Powder Forums, the 1851 Navy .36 caliber is the most popular of all the Colt models. Mike B, "Duelist 1954" on Youtube, has just put his newest video out on the 1851 Navy .36 London Model. Its on a new video website called "Full30". https://www.full30.com/video/9960c4a...17d9bf352746ab

I have three "2nd Generation" Colt percussion revolvers, made in the '70's & '80's. Two are Model 1851 Navy .36 caliber revolvers made in 1971, and one is the "miniature 1851", the Model 1862 Pocket Navy .36 caliber, made in 1981.

These "2nd Generation" models were made of Italian castings and parts that were shipped to Colt first in the 1970's for only the 1851 Navy and the Dragoon, and then, later in the 1980's for the entire line of models from the '36 Paterson to the '62 Pocket Navy & Pocket Police.

Just like "Coot" says, "it seems impossible to only have one BP revolver".

I have eleven, including the Remingtons and the Rugers. :doh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your help and info--so, to paraphrase; it seems 1 BP is too many and a 1000 not enough?

buds88win said:
Thanks for your help and info--so, to paraphrase; it seems 1 BP is too many and a 1000 not enough?
Thats basically it. Welcome to the world of BP shooting. I have 15 and still eyeing more specifically a Griswald&Gunnison, or maybe that baby dragoon, or was it the Starr? HUMMM now I forgot :idunno: or was it all three?

The 2nd generation, often referred to as a continuation of Original Colts, are quality made and collectable. The 3rd, or Signature Colts, have the Samuel Colt signature script on the back strap are not as collectable and usually sell for a lower price. I've had 2nd Gen. and Uberti, and for shooting I'd pick the Uberti. The quality of Uberti, is often what is not clearly visible. The quality of the screws and internal parts. Being a machinist, I tend to notice details, that other's will not see.

The first of the Colt made Colt 'reissues' came out in the 1970s. I sold them in my shop. They definitely are shooters. I kept one and sold only a couple years ago. Many thought they would become highly collectible and go way up in value. That didn't happen. They will bring more than other repro CW Colt revolvers but not a whole lot.

I've posted this elsewhere, but I seldom shoot BP revolvers, started with one, and now have 12. I still rarely shoot them, but they are a blast. Dale

Back