• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Awesome range report!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My birddog6 built American Jeager, Colrain .58 round bottom grooved swamped barrel.
load: 90 grains Swiss 1.5 fg. Flint, english.
Hornady swagged .570 r.b. thick .020 denim patch.
LUBE was birddog6's secret brew.
Pan powder Swiss 4fg.
Hot, wet, misty, condensation on EVERYTHING, pan, frizzen, powder, me, skeeters all over.
Skeeters diappeared after shot #1.
At 25 yards, 90 grains 1.5 S shots 1 and 2 same hole.
No sence shooting anymore at 25!
Went to 50. Three shots hit two inches low, filed down front sight. Fired two more for effect, still a tad low, more filing, and DEAD on at 50.
Getting dark, Range is in the woods so it's hard to see the target. I hunkered down, settled in on the super set trigger birddog tuned to a whisper, took real careful aim and shot 3 more, as always swabbing twixt shots.
Too dark to shoot anymore, so I pulled the target and MEASURED the group at just a hair UNDER 0.5" c. to c.! :thumbsup: :RO: dead in the middle of the bull.
This one is a shooter! ::
Every shot went Bang right now! No Fisssst ka-boom, but click/bang as fast as a capper.
I had a coffee can with lid, filled it with water, set it up on a stump at 50, could barely see it, shot my FIRST offhand shot with this Jeager and drilled that can dead center and it exploded like it'd been hit with an '06.
That can unfolded and the exit hole was two inches across!
Guess what I'm using this deer season? :RO:

Sounds great!
While I'll be the first to agree that a .58cal is certainly a lot of gun for deer at normal woods distances, I'll be hunting a new .58cal this fall myself...so let's go git'em!

That's a great range report, great shooting, and you sure have a great rifle. The .58 caliber is fast becoming very dear to me also. I intend to let a deer meet my new one this year also.... :RO: great shooting there....

Back