• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Back from the hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longcruise

70 Cal.
Reaction score
The cruise to Texas is over and done. Would like to report many hogs killed with photos of same but in fact it was a bust. We hunted hard over 1400 acres of mesquite country that normally would hold hogs. Not this year! Not even fresh sign!

We had some entertainment calling coyotes but did not get any due to poor light or just not a good enough shot situation. I did manage to miss one with my TC .45 at about 40 yards. Slid it right over the back hairs. Didn't think A coyote could run that fast! :haha: Coulda cleaned up with my Tikka .223, but this was a BP hunt for me.

This area is smaller ranches mixed with agricultural holdings. The TX parks and wildlife had recently come through and shot the hogs from helicopters. They hit any property that was given the ok by the owners and of course anyone growing a crop or having any kind of hog problem said "yes, yes". Given the amount of ground hogs cover, they all pretty much came under the gun at some time. The ranch we hunted did not ok chopper shooting on their property but they are just a little spot of land in the big picture.

But.... even at that we had a great time. Some good meals and bunkhouse chatter. We have hunted this ranch before (with great success) and know the owners pretty well so it was nice to visit with them.

Our youngest hunter was my grand son Nick at age 7. It was his first time hunting and he got his first game. A cottontail rabbit that was fried up the next morning for his breakfast.

So, that's the story for this year. We are already planning another hunt for next year. We like the ranch we just hunted but if the hogs don't make a comeback we will have to go elsewhere. Just don't know where yet.

It's not always the kill but the experience that is also a big part of the hunt. :idunno:
Better luck next year! :thumbsup:
Dusty :wink:

To borrow from an old fishing phrase - "God doesn't subtract a day spent hunting from your time allocated on earth."

You may not have gotten a hog, but your son will remember this trip for the rest of his life...

An honest hunter! Congratulations on a great hunt. Good life-learning experience for your grandson. Hunting is not all about the kill, and when you do kill something, get out the fry pan. :thumbsup:

He has great enthusiasm and can't wait to go again. In TX, no hunter safety is needed when with an adult, so he has yet to get his hunter safety. four months ago I told him when he is ready to handle the reading and writing needed to pass the hunter safety class and tests that I would take him to the classes (two days of class). He shot up from the middle of his reading and writing group at school to the very top in just a few months.

Here's a picture of him in TX.

IMG_0871.jpg

Back