• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bad Hammer Angle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a Tim Brown rifle from 1979 with an L&R percussion lock. The barrel has a snail breech and not a drum. The hammer has an ‘overbite’… relative to the nipple, it lands toward the muzzle and hits the nipple at an angle. I can see from the wear on the nipple and the mating surface of the hammer that they are only contacting on the rear edge of the nipple and leaving a gap at the front.
What do I do about this? Get the hammer red hot and try bending? Find another hammer?
I’m kinda new at this.
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1346.jpeg
    IMG_1346.jpeg
    2 MB
Last edited:
The hammer looks good, you could take a bit off the cup at the back [but keeping a straight edge till the front] then recut the bottom of the cup till at right angle to the nipple and a shorter nipple might also improve the appearance.
Edit. Looking at an enlarged view, it looks as though there is plenty of scope for a smaller nipple and perhaps some packing between the rere of the barrel and the stock
A smaller nipple will also cause the centre of the cup to move closer to the centre of the nipple.

Last edited:
Does it fire well. If so you may be looking for a problem rather than having one.
Good point! The rifle is newly acquired and I haven't shot it yet. It was while checking it over that I noticed this problem... or perhaps non-problem. It is my first .50 cal, and I realized that I don't have a cleaning jag for it, so I reckon shooting will wait.
Maybe I'll snap a series of caps to see if it misfires any. If not, then it is just an appearance issue, which I may address with something like @Colonial Boy suggested above.

Thank you, Gents!

Back