• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Baking Soda Wash

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigMikeM

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm about to start browning a barrel for my Investarms Hawken and on the instructions from LMF, it says to neutralize with a mixture of baking soda and water. I was wondering what proportions of water and baking soda to use.

Thanks!

Doesn't need much, in fact I don't use any baking soda. Just a good wash down with distilled water from the dehumidifier will do just fine. If you use soda you will need to clean that up with water anyway or corrosion will set in from that end of the ph scale. I realize that I have now left the door open for dissenting opinions and would like to apologize in advance.

I have browned two barrels with LMF. I thought the instructions said to rub it down with linseed oil. That's what I did and it seems to work just fine. The oil stopped the rusting process and gave a nice smooth brown finish. Very pleased with the results :thumbsup: .

Baking soda is a acid neutralizer. So is water, if its pure enough. A lot of water comes out of wells, and has high mineral content. That can form acids. That is why they want you to add baking soda to the water. Then the water neutralizes and rinses away the acid in the browning solution. If you put too much baking soda in the water, it just helps to neutralize the acids faster. No harm done. A couple of tablespoon to a bucket of water should be enough to do the job on your barrel.

I simply used tap water and a vigorous scrubbing with a rag to get the residue of my browning solution off the barrel when I was done, using Birchwood Casey Plum Brown, which is different from the LMF. But, both are acids( they have to be!) so you have the same cleaning issue with both products.

When you dry the barrel, oil the barrel and tang and any other parts you browned with the solution to the point of excess oil dripping off the parts. Put some paper down to catch the oil, and let them sit overnight. The oil will help Set( stabilize) the brown finish.

I've browned bbls etc. and used various neutralizers to shut down the rusting and always ended up w/ "after rust" until household ammonia was used. I use a paint brush on bbls and just submerge smaller parts. If you want to "kill" the oxidizing, use household ammonia that can be purchased in many stores. LMF browning is more difficult to "kill" and that's why I use ammonia.......Fred

I make a thick goopy paste of baking soda & water and apply that to the barrel. After a bit, I rinse it all off with hot water in the tub, let it air-dry and rub down with deer tallow. The barrel sits overnight and the excess tallow is wiped off. This works great for me and have not had any problems.......

P.S. I tried the linseed oil and won't ever use it again. It leaves a thick, sticky mess that is a pain to clean up.

I use a strong mix of washing soda and warm water to neutralize then rinse with hot water and dry with blow dryer then oil down when still warm with gun oil

I've done about a dozen barrels. Lately with the baking soda wash and a lot of rinsing, I'm still getting a light rust after a couple of days. I didn't have that problem before. :youcrazy: That's after some gun oil too. I now do the wash and then another wipe down with ammonia. Then a rinse again. Finally, I finish it off with Birchwood Casey Sheath rust preventative.

I'm not sure what changed from when I first started but this seems to work now.

My suggestion: Make a saturated solution of baking soda in water. Why? It's pretty useful and keeps FOREVER. Need to clean up that acid spill? Grab your jug and pour away, watch it foam. Find a 1 gallon glass contailer. Add 1 box of baking soda to gallon jug. Boil 1 gallon of water, and when it's rolling remove from heat and *slowly* pot over the baking soda (don't want a steam burn!) Cap and let dissolve. Don't worry if there is excess at the bottom, this guarantees the solution is saturated with bicarbonate. Mark the contaner somehow as to the contents so you will remember, but the bicarb sitting at the bottom is a good indicator of the contents (unless you make other sat. solutions regularly).

For you chemist types, this solution is approx. 1 molar in bicarb when saturated. If you get a stomach ache, take a swig. Need to neutralize your bbl? Pour some in a tin pan and aDD BBL, cover.

TG,

Where do you find washing soda? I have been looking for some time and cannot find any. I want to wash down a maple stock with a weak mix of this before using Aquafortis on it.

CS

The reason some folks have had a problem with linseed oil on gun barrels is that the barrel has to be HOT. I have used LO many times and it works just great if the barrel is too hot to hold. Get the barrel hot with a propane torch and wipe some on . A little goes a long way. Let the metal dry and wipe it again. Never had a rust problem and I am hard on my hunting rifles. Oldtimers tell me that's what they used to use. I can't argue.

Back