• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ballistics chart?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strand

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was just wondering if there was a nice spreadsheet style ballistics chart out there on the internet anywhere. I have done some digging and have not come up with anything except recommended loads charts that give me no information on speed, drop, etc.

Thank you.

I'm not aware of one that's geared towards muzzleloaders. Remington has a trial-ware type program, but it's designed for centerfire rifle ballistics.

I've been meaning to build a spreadsheet with the detailed exterior ballistics data that's offered in Lyman's 1st edition blackpowder loading manual- just haven't gotten around to it.

The best ballistics chart for muzzleloaders is in the back of Lyman's Black Powder Handbook- out of print, now, I'd expect.(copyright 1975) You could possibly contact Lyman about the ballistics chart - perhaps they have it somewhere.
: The ballistics in the back cover round balls as well as most of the popular bullet styles of the 70's and 80's- good enough to show tendencies and educated guess's on ballistics.
: Another usable program is 'point-blank". A search might bring that one up as I don't have the address. It is also freeware. The projectile ballistic coefficients must be known for most software to be of any use unless they have a library.

I use the PointBlank software and it works fairly well. It also has a database where you can input your firearm information and different loads can be stored and recalled easily. It's very easy to use.
Heres the link www.HuntingNut.com

There is a program twards the bottom of this page set up for round ball.
http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/mlexperiments/mlexpts.html
Read the text files that come with it.
Program For Modeling Ballistic Performance
Enter one of the following letters, followed by a numeric entry
'A###' = Set the aim point in yards
'C###' = Set the caliber in inches
'F' = FIRE!
'L### = Height in Inches of sight above barrel center
'V###' = Set the muzzle velocity in ft/sec
'W###' = Set the bullet weight in grains
'X###' = Set the crosswind in MPH
'?' = Show list of commands
Hope this helps

If your interested in a copy of the Lyman Blackpowder Handbook try this link Lyman has them for sale so apparently they are still in print. www.lymanproducts.com

I have the original book and it is an excellant resource document. You can save a lot of time and expense when working up loads for bullets of various weights and shapes. The original book only used BP to develop the tables so you won't find 777 or pellets, etc.

Muzzleloading enthusiasts would benifit greatly if someone developed a new revised version testing all the current products. It looks like the 2nd Edition has some information not covered in my 1st edition copy. Lyman spent a lot of time developing the original book. I suspect lots of Marketing BS about some products might be debunked.

Latest posts

Back