• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ballistol-hunting patch lube-etc

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buttonbuck

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I was wondering; since I started using Ballistol. The odor of Balistol smells like anise-black licorice will using it to protect the metal and wood on my firearms and using it as a patch lube alert game I know to stay down wind and all but it does smell strong. Does this odor dissipate?

I wouldn't worry about it. If a deer is down wind from you he'll smell a lot of other things you have before he smells your patch lube.

I'm a marginally successful ML whitetail hunter so take this for what it's worth:

Ballistol does have a distinctive odor, which I find slightly unpleasant. There are many rust inhibitors today, like RIG, Break Free/CLP, and Kleen Bore's "RustGuardit" none of which are period correct but are highly effective if you want to protect your firearm in rainy, wet conditions.

I've not seen a whitetail that was spooked by a scent, usually it is noise or motion. I've observed several walk up to and past my tractor, left in a field, without giving a second thought.

Patches can be made using strips of fabric, soaked with a Ballistol mixed with water, about 1/6 or 8/1, patches in a plastic bag for a day, hung to dry, then cut to size. They are easy to handle and my testing shows they are equal to or better than patches lathered with concoctions of beeswax, lard, oil soap, mink oil, etc.

I'm not sure how game reacts to chemicals. I do know they react to human scent.

Do all you can to keep them from smelling you, and the chemicals won't be a problem.

I agree that there's lots more to smell than Ballistol when we hunt. And if they're close enough to smell the Ballistol, I'd say they're real susceptible to lead poisoning.

during bow and early gun season this past season two of 3 deer were shot under 15 yards I just did not see anything in range from then until season end. Just wondering how others "field testing" went. I have been using the olive oil,deer tallow, bees wax lube for a while but wanted to try the balistol since the Dutch Shoultz system made logical sense to me.

Latest posts

Back