• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barber pole stripe on a ramrod.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I do it, I use a propane torch from the hardware store and do it free hand, so the twist looks random. I don't do a tight twist either.

I did it to one of my Hawkens ramrod back in the 70’s. I wrapped the hickory ramrod with a 1/2’ diameter white cotton rope dampened with water to serve as a guide, and used a propane torch to lightly scorch the exposed wood to a brown/black color. Like Zug, the twist appears random and not heavily scorched, as to opposed to a sold/uniform stripe. I then, lightly rubbed the rod with fine steel wool to create a brownish color to the striping, and applied an oil finish.
I understand it was decorative, but IMO, tends to,make the ramrod less conspicuous.
Not a great picture, but you can see the ramrod portion that enters the entry pipe on my Hawken.
83AD6F2C-5D01-46BB-B886-9ACC3A789F5A.jpeg

Last edited:
I did it to one of mine because the hickory wasn't taking on near enough color from the dark walnut stain I was using. Just used a propane torch. I like how it turned out!

I did it to one of mine because the hickory wasn't taking on near enough color from the dark walnut stain I was using. Just used a propane torch. I like how it turned out!
We’re all different. I just did one too and I like it. I marked every two inches on the ramrod with a pencil. Put it in a drill and turned it slowly and used a torch on the pencil marks.

Now tacks on a rifle is different. Can’t stand them. That’s why there are chevys and fords.

I don't like them and wonder why it was done or is this another Dixee Gun Work fable in the back of the book?

Might be..., I did it to my rod when I replaced it on my Frontier rifle when I owned one..., got into a hurry during a reload and left that rod against the tree where I reloaded..., found I had missed the deer since I found the branch that still had what was left of my round ball..., then realized I'd left the ramrod behind. When I got back to where I had been standing, it had fallen over but it was still easily seen lying on the fallen leaves, due to the alternating colors. NO IDEA if this was an actual reason for the twisting coloring or simply more lucky than anything.

LD

Might be..., I did it to my rod when I replaced it on my Frontier rifle when I owned one..., got into a hurry during a reload and left that rod against the tree where I reloaded..., found I had missed the deer since I found the branch that still had what was left of my round ball..., then realized I'd left the ramrod behind. When I got back to where I had been standing, it had fallen over but it was still easily seen lying on the fallen leaves, due to the alternating colors. NO IDEA if this was an actual reason for the twisting coloring or simply more lucky than anything.

LD
I figured it was for decoration, but if it allows it to be easily found....
Its the reason I put a loop of dayglow orange paracord on my bush knives, I want them back.

Now tacks on a rifle is different. Can’t stand them. That’s why there are chevys and fords.
I generally agree with you, but I have an old Traditions 50 cal "Hawken" that my dad gave as a kit when I was 18. Put tacks and all, and I love that little rifle. However, I don't see any more tacks in my future.

JMHO, I prefer a ramrod stained just a tad darker than the rifle, so as not to naturally draw the eye to it.

Doc

We’re all different. I just did one too and I like it. I marked every two inches on the ramrod with a pencil. Put it in a drill and turned it slowly and used a torch on the pencil marks.

Ha Ha, true enough but I have noticed over the years that most current Ford truck owners have had a Chevy or Ram experience in their past.

way back i did it. i used a piece of tinfoil about 2in wide, wrap it around the rod and leave a space the width of the stripe you want, burn that it with torch. but it aint for me, kind of squirrely, like naming a rifle,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Back in the 1970s I went to lectures/ discussions of the Trans Allegheny society sponsored by art dealer and local businessman, Les Zimmerman.
One lecture delt with flintlock firearms. One of the speakers said that only rifles had striped ramrods, in fact that is how you could tell it WAS a rifle!
His friend and fellow lecturer was accused of defrauding Les on delivering a high end, hand made frontier knife and we never saw either one again.
Never did stripe my ramrods.

Back