• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barn gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streetsniper

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Got an itch to build a smoothbore. Have considered a Sitting Fox barn gun. It's low price and simplicity seem to make it an ideal first time project. Any thoughts?

I have a Sittng Fox Fusil de Chasses kit I am building (build on 'hold' to to an elbow injury :( ) and I remain very impressed with the components! The metal pieces appear equal to TOW and Chambers kit components I have handled and I did a 'swap' for a different wood stock and it was dropped shipped to me direct from his source.

That said, there is MORE to building a gun than just the pieces. But, I found Ray Franks of Sitting Fox absolutely WONDERFUL to deal with. I had bought a 'used' kit as is, from someone who fnally determined it was above their skill capabilities. Ray was very open, honest, and receptive to working with me to ensure I had all I needed to complete the kit. I did exchange parts with him and again, I must state, his patience and speed of corresponding with me was fantastic. I only hope I do his kit justice in the end!

I got halfway through the kit before my injury side-lined me, and then found I subsequently found I was missing 1 part. A simple email to Ray solved the problem, as his parts supplier sent that to me direct too. Then I received an email from Ray apologizing for the situation, which was clearly NOT his error at all, along with an inquiry to see if there was any other way in which he could help.

You can buy a kit, lke a Chambers, where the lock is inletted for you. But please and consult Ray - he will work with you to assemble or even partially complete YOUR kit as needed to satisfy YOU. I, for one, find his receptive and helpful attitude - commitment, care, and follow through - to be very rare and refreshing :) in today's world!

... I will buy another kit from him again :thumbsup: !

Thanks for the info on sitting Fox. They have a gun I am thinking about a half stock ten. Mountain rifle. I would rather have steel under barrel rib then the wood one they send with the kit so may be I need to send an email off to them and see. Again thanks as yes there prices are good and being I have never seen let alone help a Chambers kit or gun I have nothing to compare to but my CVA'S

Back