• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel Mounted Ghost Ring Sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisS

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all,
Got a sight question:
I have a nice barrel mounted peep sight that will accept Williams apeture inserts. I want to use this for some target work and will probably remove the insert for hunting.

Normally of course the peep is located close to the eye, the thought being to allow more light and a longer sight plane. I fully understand that the principle is to look through the peep and even though it's fuzzy, the eye will center the front naturally, etc.

But...

my question is, with aging eyes and the fact that with the peep mounted so close to the eye that it becomes almost inperceptable, why would it hurt to mount it farther forward (almost mid barrel where the factory mounted adjustable rear sight is)??? Jus testing it/looking through it in the shop seems to give a good sight picture, even with an insert.

Is there any reason it won't be effective mounted mid-barrel area as opposed to the breach area?

Thanks very much.

"why would it hurt to mount it farther forward"

It couldnt "hurt". You will have shortened your sight picture and THEORORETICALLY impacted the accuracy of the gun BUT......As you stated the "buckhorns" are mounted mid barrel and they work fine.
I experimented with a peep for awhile wasnt satisfied and went back to the mid barrel rear sight and am more accurate personally. Bottom line will be what ever helps YOU and YOUR sight picture will be MOST important.
Give it a try and let us know.....

I haven't tried the adjustable peeps that could technically be mounted on a barrel, but I did try this one from TOW on a GPR kit I built. I found it really hard to use with my aging eyes, requiring me to see more detail than my eye wanted of the rear sight, then find the front sight through the hole. Took it back off and replaced it with a semi-buckhorn having a really narrow slot, which I opened slightly to find happiness. The narrow opening seemed to help focus the front sight for my eye. BTW- I gave the ring sight to a friend, who mounted it on his GPR kit. It's still there cuzz he loves it. And his eyes aren't any younger than mine!

In your shoes, before spending a lot more money on an adjustable, I'd pick up this cheap one and give it a try. If it works out, great. If it doesn't, you won't be out much. Eyes and preferences are so different, there's just a whole lot that you won't know till you try it for yourself.

I mounted a peep (Williams) mid barrel-removed the aperture- and found it easier to aquire the target. Accuracy from the bench was about the same as a buckhorn sight.

There is a peep sight called a "Mojo" sight that replaces the rear sight on military surplus rifles. I tried one on a buddy's Swedish Mauser. Having the sight way down the barrel like that defeated the purpose of having a peep sight, at least to my eyes. Conversely, the breech-mounted peep on my Enfield and 1903A3 Springfield works just fine for me, as does the tang mounted peep on my Sharps.

I guess it is up to the individual. However, Pioneer Arms has a peep mounted on a long bar. The front of the bar replaces the rear sight, and the peep is brought much closer to the eye. One of those may be just what you are looking for.

If one were to mount a "ghost ring buckhorn" sight like BrownBear used, how close to the breech on the barrel could you dovetail it in without creating concerns on weakening the barrel in the high pressure zone... say on a 7/8's .50?

Back