• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

barrel reboring

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Flint

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I built a flintlock Hawken last year with a 1 1/8 inch barrel which is quite heavy. It's a little uncomfortable to shoot so I thought about having it bored out to a larger caliber to reduce the weight. Can anyone recommend someone who rebores barrels. The barrel is now in 54 caliber and I would like to open it up to something in the 60 caliber plus range to reduce the weight.

Ed Rayl P.O. Box 91 Gassway, WV 26624 (304)364-8269

Bob Hoyt
700 Fairfield Station Rd
Fairfield, PA 17320
717 642 6696

Reboring will run about $130, or so, plus shipping. In addition, depending on the type and diameter of the breech plug, the breech may need to be rethreaded for a larger dia breech plug appropriate for the larger caliber, which will increase costs.

God bless

Bob Hoyt just bored my .54 flinter out to a .62. It is a Sharon barrel, 1.25" tapered to 1" barrel. The boring took a pound off of the weight. He did a great job and his turn around time was 1 week. Have him do the partial round rifling, you'll love it!

Back