• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel suppliers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bioprof

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Are there any muzzleloader suppliers that stock straight barrels made by Rice or Getz? Are they worth the extra price compared to a GM barrel? I'm having trouble finding any information on prices, etc. I want to get started on another rifle. This time it's going to be a longrifle.

I hear Jim Chambers is (or will be) the distributor for Rice barrels. I'm just putting on the final finishes on the wife's 40 cal Rice barreled Lancaster. We'll find out how good they shoot this weekend!

I quit buying GM barrels because they're owned by Knight. You know the inline company that says traditional muzzleloader rifles are unsafe, unreliable, unaccurate etc. etc. adnauseum, give greedy gun writers an in-line and paid for exotic hunting trips, blah blah blah. Gawd, I hate that company. :curse:

Nightwind,
although i know knight owns GMB and knight
has done everything in its power to destrory
traditional muzzleloading they still make some fine
barrels for the traditional muzzleloader builderIMHO
snake-eyes :hmm: :) :peace: :thumbsup:

I think Rice has stopped making his straight barrels (At least what he told me) and is just trying to sell what he has in stock. He is going to focus on swamped barrels. He had about 70 completed barrels as of the York shoot March 19th. Barbie Chambers is going to start, I guess you would say be the distributor for Rice as mentioned. She was working on getting me a list of straight sided barrels LC had in stock. Try calling her at Chambers. She may have the list by now.
I don't know of any other distributors that stock straight Rice or Getz barrels.
Are they worth the money? They all shoot better than I can hold a gun anyway. :m2c:
packdog

You could try Muzzle Loaders Builders Supply, they usually have several Rice barrels in stock and on order. It will cost $10. to $15. or so more than from Mr. Rice himself, but no waiting if its in stock. And they also answer emails promptly.
First I would call Rice Barrel co. directly and check on what he has in stock.
L.c. Rice called me a couple of weeks ago about a barrel I have on order and I didn't get the impression he was phasing out straight barrels. (even though my order is for a swamped B barrel) I may be wrong but I think he will continue making straight barrels because he wants to do well with the offhand match shooters.

I hate to say it, but Packdog is 100% correct. I had that very same conversation with L.C. at the York shoot. Call him quickly as he has some straight sided barrels that he is letting go at reduced prices. They won't last long.
Bimbo

I called Rice barrel company and they only had 1" barrels in stock. He referred me to Long Hammock barrels for 13/16 or 7/8" barrels. Has anyone had any experience with these? Are they as good as the Rice or Getz barrels?

Hey bioprof. We use Long Hammock barrels in our Chambers fowler kits (PA and English). Riley makes a great smoothbore for us, and even a few rifled ones. Give him a buzz and see what he can do for you. (352) 748-7373

As for Rice, I've talked him into keeping the straights, but only in the match grades for competition shooting. So, it's not that he won't be making any more straights, it's just that they will be considered special order and may take a lot longer to get to you. He will be making them in 1", 1 1/16" and 1 1/8" all 44" long in calibers 40, 45, 50, and 54.

Hope this helps!

Kinda of odd to hear we may well have problems getting straight barrels. (sure miss the fine old Douglas barrels) Like others I am a bit put off by GM/Knight, with one half selling trad barrels and the other half being a trad type's worst enemy.

I have an old TVM 42 inch straight .62 barrel, one inch across the flats (actually makes for a pretty light weight barrel) that I won't be getting rid of. I have had it for well over a decade and keep intending to build up a late full stock flinter some day if I ever get around to it.

Barbie,
As I'm planning to build a proper Chunk Gun in the future I'm sure glad you talked LC into continuing to make straight barrels, at least in the larger flats.
I do hate to see that the smaller sizes will be gone. :cry: It was nice to have an alternative to GM barrels.
Thanks,
Packdog

Sure am glad my brother gave me the Douglas .32 cal. 3/4 flats straight barrel he has had in his basment for 30 years.
I picked up a small Siler from Jim Chambers when i was in the neighbor hood ther a few months ago.
The stock is out of a X fancy curley maple from Wayne Dunlap i got from him while visiting the daught in the DC area last Christmas.

Woody

Back