• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel weight vs. barrel measurements ??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
I see various references to barrels as "B" weight, "C" weight, "D" weight, etc...

Is there a direct correlation of that alphabetic coding scheme to barrel sizes measured in inches?
ie: does one letter equal something like 13/16", another letter equal 7/8"...15/16"...1", etc?

I'm glad u brung that up Roundball. It is confusing to me...just like when they changed the numbers on horseshoes. I spent a lot of years getting to know the fraction/decimal sizes...even went so far as to get an idea of caliber versus ball to the pound. This new setup is no doubt less confusion to lots of folks....and probably is a better way to describe a swamped/tapered barrel, but danged if I like it. I end up taking my calipers and measuring tape when I go barrel hunting. What is gonna happen to the pre-inlet stock world then?

Not any thing that simple. All the A,B,C,D,J weights are all for Swamped barrels, and the style of barrel & length changes the weight & the degree of swamp & where it starts & ends & etc. You are restricted by the caliber on the weight in the thin barrels. Example is a 38" 54B or 58B barrel. They don't make it as they feel the wall will be too thin by the time you get a underlug in the swamp part.

The new Track or the Wolf catalog gives you each ones measurements now & the weights of each on each style & etc. Really nice to have it there.

Custom Muuzzleloaders & Custom Skinning Knives

Back