• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Battle Stations, Battle Stations!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Ten hours until the Indiana Turkey season opens.

Time to turn in and get ready to battle the rain and high winds in the morning. :shocked2:

Good luck to you all chasing Thomas Three-Toes! :thumbsup:

Best regards, Skychief.

Go get'em Skychief...I'm seeing / hearing some now but just haven't been able to close the deal yet

Heavy rain and strong winds greeted me at 5 o'clock this morning. Not a peep was heard all morning.

Fast forward to my next setup around 10:30 this morning. I set two hens and a jake dummy 13 yards in front of me in a cattle pasture (more specifically, in a bottleneck of sorts in a long and narrow pasture). It was my first time hunting this area and I was less than delighted to find that the owner had moved his cattle to this very pasture.....oh well, no big deal. A half hour into this hunt, I was less than delighted to watch someone :hmm: drive all along the edges of the pasture in a "bad boy buggy". Still have no idea who (whom?) this sight-see-er was! :shake:

Well, by this time (after being doused all morning in 30 degree temperatures, buffeted by the strong winds, surrounded by cattle I had not expected to see, and witnessing a stranger aboard an ATV rubber-necking his way around the pasture), my enthusiasm could have waned. But no! I had the next 3 days off to pursue my favorite blackpowder quarry and I was going to enjoy the hunt, no matter the results!

After calling every 20 minutes or so for 3 hours, my luck would change. I did not expect any gobbling, and, heard none. Leaned against a sassafrass tree, I just kept scanning slowly to the left and right, searching for black dots in the long pasture that I sat in the middle of. It felt a lot like deer hunting.

Anybody ever see a pale bluish-white light bulb sprout from a cattle pasture before? I did at 1:30 this afternoon. Forty yards out and too far below a slight knoll for viewing my setup, the gobbler scratched for a water-logged nightcrawler, I presume. This gave me the opportunity to throw a diaphragm in my mouth and raise 'ye olde blunderbuss' in one frantic moment.

A few soft yelps made his head jerk straight up and saunter my way. He spied my jake and sprinted right in and really had a time with it. I thought the foam would surely fly!

With the hammer swept back, I tightened the trigger tension on the bird, 13 yards away (right in my bailiwick).

He weighed 24 pounds and sported a 10 1/2"beard and 3/4" spurs.

I could only be happier if I had heard some gobbles today, but, I aint complainin'!

So ends the tale of my Soggy-Day Gobbler.

Good luck guys, Skychief.

I would love to show him off if any of you are willing to give me an email address as in the past. Thanks!

Spence was kind enough to this compooter idiot to post a couple pics. He may start another thread and include them there.

Thanks for all the attaboys guys.

I can't overstate how much I love chasing thunder-chickens with a muzzleloader. Woooo Hooooo!!!!

Best regards, Skychief.

Skychief said:
Spence was kind enough to this compooter idiot to post a couple pics. He may start another thread and include them there.
I put 'em here, saves us all that walking.

That is one beautiful bird, Skychief. Good job.

Hope this works, Photobucket is almost unusable, these days.

Spence

Perfect! :thumbsup: Good shooting!..
That "New Englander" is a turkey magnet.
Your at least 2 weeks ahead of us here(Wi) on spring greenup.

Back