• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

BBs for general purpose load?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bnail

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance here, but why can't you use BBs for a general purpose shoot load? I've been picking up my son's steel BBs all over the house, and can't help but be reminded of the swan shot I mad a while back. are they too lage for small game?

That was what I was thinking would be the # 1 detractor, but I couldn't think of any other reason other than maybe size.

Mike Nesbitt promotes the use of BB's for waterfowl in the DGW Black Powder Annual 2006. If you don't make a habit out of shooting them, your barrel should be OK. Jackie Brown states the metal he makes barrels out of is hard enough to use steel shot in without a special shot cup.

Thanks Russianbnlood, I was thinking that the BBs would be a little easier to clean out of your game than some of the small shat I have. I'd be using it out of my Bess, so I guess I might stick with comperably sized lead shot

Skagan: The BBs your son is shooting measure .177 " while the BB steel shot is .18". the ' steel " shot BB is made of a much softer steel than your son's BB are. They are not interchangeable. He can ruin his rifle trying to shoot a BB made for shotguns from steel, or lead, for that matter. It will stop in the barrel, and you will ruin the barrel getting it out.

As for using them for waterfowl, if you actually price your son's BBs, they are one heckuvalot more expensive than even the expensive steel shot BBs will cost you. Those plastic shot cups, even the heavy gauge ones from Ballistics Products have been known to cut through, and if a steel BB touches the bore of your shotgun going out, it will scratch it. If you are shooting a gun with choke, it will scratch right through that, too.

I have been reading Mr. Nesbitt's work for many years, and I learned to ignore most if it long ago. If it works for him, fine. I would rather stick with the products made for the gun I am using. MY 2 cents.

Mr. Nesbitt promotes the use of BB shot not Daisy BBs. I would check your local game laws about "general" use of BBs, as they are restricted in some states as to specific game/seasons.

Mike Roberts said:
Mr. Nesbitt promotes the use of BB shot not Daisy BBs. I would check your local game laws about "general" use of BBs, as they are restricted in some states as to specific game/seasons.

Actually, he does mean air gun BB's.

Mike Nesbitt said:
My friend and I rarely hunt waterfowl but when we do, it is easy to grab air rifle BBs and go after 'em. BBs are copper-coated steel and fill the bill just fine for non-lead pellets.
(pg. 65 2006 BPA)

I have used no 2 steel with more success than #8 lead (centerfire shotgun) on pesky house sparrows and starlings. The larger projectiles bring them down no matter where they are hit. Also I've go squirrel hunting after duck hunting to unload the 10 gauge BP and BB's are easy to pick out of the meat, and don't do that much damage if you aim in front of the squirrel and not dead center. You have to mess with annoying plastic wads, but I'd rather do that then mess with toxic lead dust.

Russianblood said:
Mike Roberts said:

Actually, he does mean air gun BB's.

Mike Nesbitt said:
My friend and I rarely hunt waterfowl but when we do, it is easy to grab air rifle BBs and go after 'em. BBs are copper-coated steel and fill the bill just fine for non-lead pellets.
(pg. 65 2006 BPA)

Hmmm...I guess I musta missed that article, and I usually read his stuff. Personally I wouldn't use those BBs in my smoothies; but the second half of my comment still applies--check your local laws.

Latest posts

Back