• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bear Grease Shoot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuntAway

32 Cal.
Reaction score
After the lackluster results yesterday with the 50's I took the .54 out for a shoot.
54GPR.jpg

I had an old shirt hanging in the closet and thought to myself. Hmmmm patches.....

So I cut a couple strips off it and got the bear grease out of the freezer. I lubed up the material and headed for the pit.

The patch .014/ ball .535 combiination loaded easily.
Set up a target at 30 yds and fired my first shot from a clean barrel. I didn't even swab the oil out of it.

29Jan12.jpg

Happy with those results I moved the target out to 50 yds let another 5 shots go.

29Jan12a.jpg

This is looking promising.

The patches survived but I don't think they will take any more powder. The white patch was a cleaning patch that I ran down after I was done shooting. I did not swab at all today. There was hardly any fouling. I think I'm going to like this bear grease thing.

ShirtTailPatches.jpg

HA

That second target for me would be a bad day at 50 yards with any of my .54s or my .58. Thats perfectly acceptable for a lot of guys though. What are you looking for in a load? You looking for an easy loading multi shot load? You trying to hunt without a ball starter? I wouldn't even think of using that thin of a patch through mine. My load of 90gr of 3F with .530 ball in a .022 bear greased patch will cloverleaf at 50 yards. Same with my load of 90gr of 3F with .570 ball and .022 bear greased patch.

I'm betting a little thicker fabric will hold the patch together better, and shrink the group even further whether or not you want to drive the ball faster.

I shot those patches just because I wanted to try something different. I have some .018 blue stripe pillow tick to use as well. I agree about the group size as I would like it tighter than that as well. I need to get some .530 ball as well.

I'm a work in progress. :wink:

HA

Latest posts

Back