• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

bear hunting and back up firearm

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frontierman01

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I plan on shooting a bear if I get the chance this season with my muzzleloader. since this will be my first bear hunt should I carry a pistol as a back up? also, after the shot, how long should I wait before tracking, and should I be making noise or be stealthy about it? don't want to surprise a wounded bear.thanks :wink:

I have not taken a bear with ML but have kept a tag onhand when hunting during Bear season is open, I have never taken a backup gun with Bear hunting in mind, I suppose from what I have seen of Bears behavior ( I watched them a lot when I spent three seasons commercial Salmon troll fishing in SE Alaska" that I felt they would go the other way, I guess if my obit reads "kilt by Bear who went the wrong way", it could be considered pretty strong evidence that my Bear theory was wrong and should be put in the archives :hmm:

I'm assuming that since you're writing from NY, you're talking about black bears and not BEARS as I know them. I agree with tg. If you put the right size ball in the right place on a black bear, game over. If you put the wrong ball in the wrong place, you simply aren't going to have time to go for your backup. Bears are FAST and that sucker is going to be headed into the next county before the smoke clears. Might do so even with a good hit, but either way you have plenty of time for a reload.

If you're talking BEARS, the right backup is nothing less than a 375 H&H in a pair of cool hands standing right beside you. If the bear doesn't drop instantly at your shot, immediately start poking .375 diameter holes in the hide and don't stop till the last part stops moving. If it gets out of sight, both of you reload, say your prayers and work together to follow it up. The case is open on who is hunting who at that point.

FWIW, I've got two black bear with muzzleloader on a general season bear tag. In both cases I was specifically hunting bear. Carried a S&W 629 and kept a 12ga pump back in camp. First bear rolled over and died in plain sight. Watched it for about 15 minutes after it stopped twitching before crossing thru the brush/creek and going to get it.

Second one rolled down into a brushy creek and out of sight. Heard the death moan about the time I was repriming. Sat there for an hour, nothing moved or heard. Went back to camp, got pump gun, found dead bear in thick manure.

In either case I didn't need the back up, but if I was going to dance with a bear in the thick stuff it wasn't going to be with a flintlock.

In the air force I once went salmon fishing packing a 12ga. pump with a pocketful of slugs. We went to Alaska to do some fishing and one of the chief master seargent's on the base suggested we take along some firepower with our fishing equipement. Almost had to use it but we decided that the bear got the salmon...he had more "friends" then we did!

In NY the regulations don't allow a back-up handgun (or any firearm) if you are hunting during the muzzleloading season UNLESS it is a single shot muzzleloader of at least .44 caliber. Note that cap and ball revolvers are not muzzleloaders by NY's definition. If you are hunting with a m/l pistol it must be on your permit in my home county. Not sure of the rules of Orange County.

Bow hunting is even more sporting. No firearms allowed at all.

Carry a big knife and give it at least half-an-hour to expire. :wink:

"Carry a big knife and give it at least half-an-hour to expire."
Is the big knife to be used on the bear or on yourself :haha: :v

frontierman01 said:
I plan on shooting a bear if I get the chance this season with my muzzleloader. since this will be my first bear hunt should I carry a pistol as a back up? also, after the shot, how long should I wait before tracking, and should I be making noise or be stealthy about it? don't want to surprise a wounded bear.thanks :wink:

Although i've got it figured that if a bear takes a bite outa me, :shocked2: he'll have such a bad taste in his mouth, that he won't try for a second bite... :rotf: However, i'd still rather him/her not take that first bite and since i don't like leaving nothing to chance.:nono: Here's what i'll be packing..

This is going to be my primary "Bear" getter, my Lancaster .50 cal:
DSC00039_edited.jpg

This is what will back-up the primary, 1860 Army colt:
DSCF0099_edited.jpg

And this is back-up for my back up, my .45 cal Darringer.. :haha:
HPIM1013.jpg

Now we come to the absolute last resort/when all else has failed. My "Scalper" in one hand (which was gifted to me by my good friend, "JimmytheShank"), and my "Ole Reliable", tomahawk in the other hand... :thumbsup:

HPIM1019_edited.jpg

HPIM0889_edited.jpg

Now!!....if he still gets me after all this, then he deserves me. Bad taste and all... :grin: :haha:

Good luck and just remember,

"CAUTION"
"Please Don't Feed the Bears"
:rotf: :grin: :haha: :rotf:​

Danny.. :hatsoff:
"Auh boy,....are you sure you can skin'a grizz" :wink:

I hadn't even thought of a hawk, but you reminded me of an incident from my youth. A black bear wandered into the cook tent at a logging camp, and Cookie did it in with a single swing of his meat cleaver! You didn't mess with Cookie, but you sure tried to be first in line for his bear fat donuts and pie crusts! :thumbsup:

Let's just assume they would allow pistol. I think a double barreled Flintlock pistol would be the best. They have one at The Rifle Shoppe. I intend to build one after I finish my 50 caliber belt pistol and 45 cal muff pistol.

For something off-the-shelf and if one were to allow a cap gun (ugh) I suppose a Howdah with one barrel being 20 gauge and one barrel being 50 caliber would be my choice. Slug in the 20 gauge side and a hardened ball loaded hot with powder in the 50 cal side.

Here in Oregon,we are allowed to carry back-up,even in bow season.Cougars are the reason,but after the shoot out on John Day river last week ,who knows what kind of varmit you will run into. I will pack my Colt Python ,two speed loaders into the woods,along with my 1803 Harpers Ferry,for Elk.Quite a outfit ,don't you think?

I've shot 3 with my flintlock (largest in camp 2 years running). As long as I do my part, a backup won't be needed. So, to answer some of your questions-are you DEAD on with the pistol? If so, can't hurt to bring it. It's easier than the 12 ga. I got sick of taking along and eventually left in camp... After the shot, listen for the death moan. Wait an hour to be sure... Any noise you make while tracking won't matter. It will be watching the back trail anyway as it will make tracks to the next county.
Seriously, have fun. Bear aren't hard to kill. Easier than whitetails. Have fun! It sounds more frightening than it really is, but it IS fun! You'll do fine!

As Bakeoven says a lot of times you'll hear the death moan and that's that. As 311 said, a lot of times a bear dies quicker than a white tail and will drop quicker- I think their lungs are smaller.
In my case- one bear at about 20 yards turned side ways and ran into a swamp. Another turned around the way it came went 50 yards and veered off once at about 30 degree angle and then straight until it dropped- say another 40 yards. Another turned the way it came, ran up a little hill about 20 yards. The last one headed right for me- I was in a stand BUT it ran right under the tree past me- apparently it didn't know where the shot had come from- I really wasn't charged.
Those few events are about the sum total of my bear hunting.
All bears I have seen while just out for a walk have bolted off into the bush- including a sow that left two cubs behind.
So, I think you're okay but if you are still worried get a double barrel shotgun (muzzle loader) if legal and you figure about a 50 yard shot. After taking a shot you can reload one barrel while the other is good to go.
On this immediate tracking business, you want to let the animal stop and die. You don't want to push a wounded animal as that makes tracking a real nightmare. If you have to give up and come back the next day your bear isn't going to taste so great. Bears have fat and the fat can plug up the entry wound and voila, no blood trail. Note where the animal ran and take a compass bearing (no pun intended). Black bear have a reputation of running straight. When ever you find a print or blood or kicked over rock or stick (ground will be dark where it was just kicked over) flag that spot to establish a line of travel. I think the arrows fitted with a tracking string were with bear in mind although it might have been hogs- not sure. If a dog for tracking only is legal, that can sure save the day. In such a case the dog ought to be else where and brought it after- for the game recovery.

Reminds of a conversation I had with a fellow a few years ago...he had been long planning a hunt in Alaska for Brown Bear with his longbow, crazy enough. Upon his arrival into camp he was introduced to his guide who was carrying a little .38 S&W model 10 revolver. Being a cautious fellow he couldn't help but ask, " How do you expect to stop a wounded Brown Bear with that little .38?" To which the guide replied, " ...don't have to, jus' gotta stop you!" :rotf: :rotf:

I saw a video of Fred Bear shooting a Brown Bear at about 10 yards-with a traditional bow- now that takes soem nerve!

Hit through the heart and lungs any animal is dead but bears easier to kill than a whitetail?Maybe our bears are tougher than Michigan bears but they don't fold up after the shot.
2 hit in the head drop at the shot
many hit heart lung dead when found[about half hour]
1 hit left chest facing bullet went diagonally through body and destroyed right back leg still alive 20 min later shot in head all over

A few years ago I could have bought a 12 gauge, double barrel, muzzle loading shotgun for $250 and I have been kicking myself ever since that I was too cheap. I'm interested mostly in the mountain man era and double shotguns were used for night guard duty. In the thick stuff I hunt I think loaded with a single ball it should be the berries- two fast shots.
I think at close range (15-25 yards) the 12 gauge ought to be about has devastating as the more expensive double rifles.
On the original percussion guns- pre-1840. Did you carry half cock and cock right before firing or did any of the guns have a safety- akin to a modern side by side?

Back