• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bear Hunting with PRB

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Ol Gobbler

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Would you recommend hunting a black bear with a .50 cal Hawken and PRB? Stand hunting.... over bait. I most likely won't pull a tag for about 4 years, so would you recommend getting a .54 cal? Thanks!

I'm sure a .50 has and will do it. A .54 will do it better. I built my Uncle a .58 for bear hunting as he goes every year and thought it a perfect bear gun for him. :thumbsup: :grin:

Welcome to the forum Gobbler. the old timers used a double PRB load for bear when hunting with dogs. when the bear was treed or cornered it was a short-range shot for the hunters. you might give it a try in yer .50 into wet cardboard or fone books to check it out (I did, what a 'whack') and recoil to boot.

Big Ol Gobbler said:
Would you recommend hunting a black bear with a .50 cal Hawken and PRB? Stand hunting.... over bait. I most likely won't pull a tag for about 4 years, so would you recommend getting a .54 cal? Thanks!
Can't tell if you already have a .50 or what, so here are three scenarios that I see:

1) If you don't have a .50 and have to buy a ML for bear hunting I'd recommend the .58...an extremely accurate and versatile caliber!

2) If you already have a .50cal, and you're going to try a new form of big game hunting, get yourself a .58...it's an outstanding caliber!

3) If you're possibly interested in a variety of other big game beyond black bears, get a .58...you won't regret it!

:wink: :thumbsup:

Hi Roundball. I do have a .50
So, if I understand you correctly, I should get a .58 :hmm: Got it! :thumbsup:

Are they pretty hard to come by? Pricey? Thanks!

Keeping a long story short, :wink: , I've killed bears with .50 and .54. I most heartily concur with the advice to get a .58 or even bigger.

A .50 has been my choice of calibres for many years. I have taken a great deal of game with a .50 and expect to keep doing so. Hunting over bait from a stand you will likely be very close and naturally shot placement is always more important than the calibre. I would not hesitate to take my .50 bear hunting tomorrow, however I would likely use my fast twist barrel and 385 grain conicals to do it.

Now that I've rattled all that off I have to add that I agree with Roundball 100%. A well placed shot with a .58 on bear size game at close to medium range will always be superior to the same shot with a .50.....especially with a PRB.

Also and perhaps most importantly, you should never ever pass up a good excuse to acquire another rifle. :thumbsup:

A few years back I used a 50 caliber roundball with 90 grains of fffg for a bruin over bait. Good sized bear came in, a well placed shot behind the shoulder. he ran about 15 yards and folded. If you get a stout load and shoot over bait, it will work. I would go heavier if you're stalking maybe

If I was going bear hunting I wouldn't be taking my 50, take my 54. If I took my 50 I would have 100gr 2ff and max-ball. Dilly

Big Ol Gobbler said:
Hi Roundball. I do have a .50
So, if I understand you correctly, I should get a .58 :hmm: Got it! :thumbsup:

Are they pretty hard to come by? Pricey? Thanks!
Mine is a GM drop-in barrel for the TC Hawken...however, it's a 1" barrel and won't drop into a 15/16" .45/.50cal TC Hawken...has to be the large size Hawken stock that takes the 1" .54/.58cal barrels.

Best price would probably be through Cains Outdoors in West VA...$200-225-ish...speak to owner Ed or Son Scott...# is on their website

The .50 will do it, as mine with 80 gr. of 3f and PRB has 3 times. The largest was 500 lbs. Bear are easy to kill. The one I shot this year (230 lbs.) was shot at about 35 yds. over bait and went less than 20 yds. Where we were hunting, they hadn't been hunted in years and were very aggressive (especially with cubs). I had to shoot my flinter off to chase away a sow and 2 cubs. That worked like manure-she sent the cubs up a tree and came my way popping her jaws. Then, talking to her didn't seem to work with my teeth chattering like that :redface: . It made me decide to build a .54, as the extra knock-down would be great. It's devistating on deer. Remember, there's more to hunting them than the calibre. You only need the rifle when everything else goes right! Other than that, go for it. It's great fun!

If your hunting over bait, take a shotgun with a 690 cannon ball! Just make sure of your footing before you touch it off in a tree! :grin:

I have killed lots of deer with a compound. I have also killed 2 deer, one moose and one bear with traditional equipment; and the bear was by far the easiest to kill and fastest to die. They have thin skin. The key is to shoot behind the leg bone and double lung them. I would think the 50 very capable of penetrating both lungs of a bear at baiting distances. With that said, I WANT a 58 cal. LOL!!!! :rotf:

Back