• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

BEAR HUNTING

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I hunted them (and succeeded) in Washington. I used a 50 cal DGW Tenn Mt rifle. Didn't have any problem killing him - 250 lb bear was all.

Yes, I have. Wouldn't have a problem doing it again either! It's fun! My gun was a home made (scratch) build .50 with a Siler lock, PRB with dry pillow ticking, 80 gr. 3f Elephant :redface: . This was in Ontario, where the country is beautiful, game plentiful and large. My best was a 500 lb. blackie that only went about 40 yds. As long as the shot is good, they won't go far. Nearest bears have been at about 8 ft., which made for a memorable staring contest! :shocked2:

Flint311 said:
Yes, I have. Wouldn't have a problem doing it again either! It's fun! My gun was a home made (scratch) build .50 with a Siler lock, PRB with dry pillow ticking, 80 gr. 3f Elephant :redface: . This was in Ontario, where the country is beautiful, game plentiful and large. My best was a 500 lb. blackie that only went about 40 yds. As long as the shot is good, they won't go far. Nearest bears have been at about 8 ft., which made for a memorable staring contest! :shocked2:
You killed a 500 lb. bear with a .50 round ball?!?! :shocked2:

Not me but I built my uncle a 30" straight oct .58 cal Flintlock to. After passing on bears for two seasons I finially told him I needed fat and to get it done. The load was a .570 ball on top of 100gr 3F powder at 18 yards. The ball went through both shoulders/lungs and the bear was dead in about 30 seconds.
http://www.nimrodsplace.com/video/Unclesbear08.wmv

Last edited by a moderator:
I shot a bear last year with my .58 virginia rifle and a .562 patched round ball over 90 or 100grns of 3f kik powder I can't remember which, it's on a post here somewhere with pics of the bear. The ball completely penetrated both shoulder blades ribs and and even nicked the spine. the ball went so deep into the ground I never did find it. next time I'll use a rb and 90grns of 3f, since that is my all around load and I'm pretty confident I can kill anything with it. I've been saying I'm not going bear hunting this year, because it's so much work but I can already feel the itch coming on, so who knows. I really should be concentrating on scouting deer/elk since I have family coming up to hunt deer and my Mom also drew an elk tag we have to fill in that time frame.

Latest posts

Back