• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Beeswax/lard mix - how long is it good for?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jarikeen

40 Cal.
Reaction score
If using a 50/50 beewax and lard mix for lubricating minies or maxies - how long is it good for? Does it go off? Should the un-used mix be refrigerated?

Can't see you having a problem if the lard was good and clean to begin with. I'm still using a tub of of bear grease I made 4 years ago and it still smells the same as the day I made it, mostly like beeswax lol.

I've had a small jar of homemade 60/40 lard/beeswax mix in my range box for almost two years, and it still smells lightly of honey and nothing else. If your lard is pure before mixing with the wax, it can go a long time. :thumbsup:

Jarikeen said:
If using a 50/50 beewax and lard mix for lubricating minies or maxies - how long is it good for? Does it go off? Should the un-used mix be refrigerated?
Jarikeen,
As long as you are useing pure beeswax
and pure lard,I see no reason why it should
not last an indefinate period of time.I also see
no reason to refrigerate any unused mix.I would
however keep it in a cool dry place.I personally would
use up any unused lard for various cooking situations and get more when I needed it.I could
be wrong here,but I see no reason why pure
beeswax would not last forever,if wrapped and
kept in a cool place.Just my opinion.
snake-eyes :hmm:
situations and get more when needed

Tickfood hit the nail on the head, just use good,pure lard and it will never turn. Of course,don't leave a tin on the dash of your truck all afternoon like I did.

I never knew how long it would keep so mine is in yogert containers with lids on in the freezer.

Beeswax indefinately. It will not spoil. Lard may go rancid, so I guess it depends on how much beeswax it is mixed with and how it is stored. I have some lube made of equal parts beeswax, Crisco and tallow (I use this on fiber shotgun wads) that has been in a plastic lid 1 lb coffee can for over 15 years in my 60º to 70º cellar and is still OK.

Back