• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ben Coogle barrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vince N

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I understand that he makes custom smooth bore barrels.Has anyone used Mr.Coogle's barrels?

To answer you question, no, I haven't tried one of Benny's barrels.

Benny was sort of my mentor into Blackpowder way back when. Back in around 1975 some locals put on a deer rifle match using deer sillouhettes. Open sights and legal deer calibers at 100 yards, scopes at 200. Any shooting position. Benny showed up in buckskins carrying a .45 flintlock he had built. It was the first time most of us had seen a muzzleloader being shot much less a handbuilt flintlock.
Benny had to wait until everyone else was finished before he got to shoot, then he stood there and took his 5 shots offhand, most others had shot prone or sitting. He got a lot of ribbing from rednecks squatting down and motioning like an exaggerated ram rodding.
Nobody really took him serious but I was watching his target and all his shots seemed to hit the same place in the dirt behind it. Then he called a shot..."Missed that one at 12:00"
When we went to look at the target there was one shot right above the deer at 12:00 and 4 more in a tight little group right in the lungs for a score of 20.
If he had of hit the deer anywhere that one missed shot he would have gotten 3rd place. He could have won either 2nd or first, depending on where that shot hit.
All in all, it was very impressive for the day and time and the area of the country.

He motivated me to buy a ML and the next year I won the same match, including a shootoff against a .243 for first place. But I didn't shoot offhand.

A couple of years ago Benny told me he wasn't shooting rifles anymore but was now into smoothbores and that he was making barrels in his shop. I haven't talked to him since but I would imagine that any barrel made by Benny Coogle would be a barrel worth having.

Bennie may be at the Whitewater get together this weekend over in Alabama. He and Darrell sometimes alternate picking and grinning around the fire.

I'll try to remember to ask him about the barrels if he's there.

Cain't hardly wait to get back with our rowdy brethern and sisters. The bride and I are pulling out early Thusday morning.

Richard/Ga.

Richard,
If you see Benny ask him about that rifle match long ago, shot the year before the Macon Co. Gun Club was chartered. If you can jog his old memory see if he can remember "Who am I"? He won't know me by Darkhorse.
Tell him to start posting on this forum. He is a wealth of information and tall tales.

Darkhorse,

Benny wasn't at the Whitewater shindig but we had a huge time anyhow. One of the high points of our trip was my wife winning the raffle for a damascus bladed, stag handled, belt knife. It was made and donated for raffle by our close friend and Master Bladesmith Ed Halligan of Sharpsburg, Georgia. She's been grinning like a possum for three days now.

Your comment about Bennie being a wealth of information and tall tales is mighty accurate, of course some folks that don't know him well enough might get the idea he's full of "it", especially when he's pickin' an' grinnin' around the big fire after the chirrens have been tucked in and the bottles have made a few passes around the circle.

Richard/Ga.

Back