• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best .54 for money?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

limbhanger78

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a .54 for hog hunting. We do a ton of hog hunting here in Oklahoma and I want to grab a good smoke pole to do it with! I prefer flintlocks but would use cap if had too. I mostly turkey hunt smoothbore so not looking to spend a grand on .54. I would just like to get everyones opinion on what i should go with please. Thanks!

With the needs you have outlined I would say a Lyman Great Plains Rifle. They are made in percussion or flintlock, and if you shop around you should find one for less than $500. Good luck make good smoke........................watch yer top knot................

Buford said:
With the needs you have outlined I would say a Lyman Great Plains Rifle. They are made in percussion or flintlock, and if you shop around you should find one for less than $500. Good luck make good smoke........................watch yer top knot................

X2! :thumbsup:

pab1 said:
Buford said:

X2! :thumbsup:

X3! Unless you ar ready to make your own, in which case I recomend a hawken kit from Pecatonica..

Have to agree with the rest here- if you're looking for bang for your buck, you can't beat the GPR. The shoot well, and parts are common. Watch the classifieds here or check out your local club, and you're bound to find one. $400 should do it. Flint or caplock, you can't go wrong. I own two and love 'em.

Thanks fellows!!! I'll look em up tonight!! Can't wait to lay an ole boar in the shade with a smoke pole!

I really like the TC Hawken in 54 caliber. A good used one should be avaiable if a person looks a little.

Back