• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best Deal On Muzzloaders Starter Kits

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The best is to decide what you need and get just the items you want, seems most starter "kits" have a lot of junk you end up throwing away anyway. Sooner or later (most likley much sooner) you will change most of it anyway. Minimum seems like:

1) cleaning jag
2) powder measure, adjustable
3) something to carry powder in, flask or horn
4) powder, real BP in flintlock
5) balls
6) flints or :p caps, at first you you can prime your flinter from your horn or flask then look at fancy primimg gadgets.
7) patches, for beginner pre cut pre lubed are super your learning curve will be steep enough at first without trying to figure out homemade patch lubes go with .015 for the first package then experiment with thinner and thicker patching as you get more comfprtable shooting.
8) consider a one piece range rod, stainless steel w/muzzle guard
9) box to carry all this stuff in, Lowes sells a very nice wooden tool box for about $20, I have several.

This should get you up and running then add more stuff you can't live without as you feel the need for it.

One thing I have found almost indispensable is the EZ-Unloader. This is the devise that uses compressed Co2 to unload a rifle. I bought one to git a stuck ball out of my Dad's TC Hawken. We had used every other method to no avail. One puff with the unloader and the ball popped right out. I would highly recommend spending the $20 to git one.

IronMan

The best is to decide what you need and get just the items you want, seems most starter "kits" have a lot of junk you end up throwing away anyway. Sooner or later (most likley much sooner) you will change most of it anyway. Minimum seems like:

1) cleaning jag
2) powder measure, adjustable
3) something to carry powder in, flask or horn
4) powder, real BP in flintlock
5) balls
6) flints or :p caps, at first you you can prime your flinter from your horn or flask then look at fancy primimg gadgets.
7) patches, for beginner pre cut pre lubed are super your learning curve will be steep enough at first without trying to figure out homemade patch lubes go with .015 for the first package then experiment with thinner and thicker patching as you get more comfprtable shooting.
8) consider a one piece range rod, stainless steel w/muzzle guard
9) box to carry all this stuff in, Lowes sells a very nice wooden tool box for about $20, I have several.

This should get you up and running then add more stuff you can't live without as you feel the need for it.

I would add:
Nipple Wrench

Short starter (or 1 1/2 inch wooden ball with a 3/8 dowel sticking out 1/4 inch and another dowel sticking out 3 inches.

Roundballs .010 smaller than the guns caliber

IMO, Don't bother with the capping tools, quick loader doohickies, breech plug scrapers, or Wonder Wads.
After you do some shooting, you might want to add these but for starters they just add cost without any major benifits.

High Power..IMO, an easy fix would be to go to the top of this page and check out the Possible Shop. Tell Don what you're after and he'll have your plunder to ya in about a week. When I didn't want any & everything in one of his "kits", he just said OK, and sent what I needed :)
Al

High Power..IMO, an easy fix would be to go to the top of this page and check out the Possible Shop. Tell Don what you're after and he'll have your plunder to ya in about a week. When I didn't want any & everything in one of his "kits", he just said OK, and sent what I needed :)
Al

I put together the list from the posts, and emailed Don with all the info!

What about a powder source? Does Walmart have it?

Those CO2 Unloaders work great, just be carefull because my flintlock turned into a very large bb gun, it went POP and ball went thru a big cardboard box filled with newspapers and knocked down an old bed frame that was leaning in the corner. The ball was split in two by the edge of bed frame. Next time I went to range I showed a few guys and we had fun with my big airgun. Oh, yeah, you will load without powder and need to get that ball out,nobodys perfect.

Howdy Pigrim! I git my powder at the local Bass Pro Shop. Paid about $12.95 fer a can (Seen me comin I reckon). Also available through Dixie Gun Works. Wachyer Topknot! Bearclaw

Back