• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

best locktime percussion locks?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry D.

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I noticed that many of the flat-spring locks have a shorter distance to travel than the coil spring lock on my T/C rifle.

Does the hammer travel as fast with the flat springs? Which has the best lock time in general - flat or coil? Are there any particular locks that are standouts for locktime?

I have solved the first part of the accuracy equation for my rifle - adding a peep sight - but would like to upgrade the lock if it makes a significant difference.

The T/C lock needs the extra distance to accommodate the fly. Three thing will effect lock time, spring tension, distance and weight. If you can lighten the hammer and other parts and decreas the travle distance then the lock time will be faster. Another thing that helps is pollish all mating surfaces to lesson friction. Some people say using a set trigger increases the time.
Hope this helps

I've read that coil springs are slower than flat springs. The plus side is that they don't break as easily. Probably a lot easier to manufacture, too. Set triggers are slower than non-set, as they usually have to kick a lever to disengage the sear, which is an extra step. The benefit is that they are more sensitive, requiring less pull, and this offsets the additional lock time. Aside from the lock, I think the design of the bolster and breech contribute a lot to ignition speed.

RedFeather

Redfeather,

What are the standard designs of the bolster and breach? Of what type is the T/C rifle?

Thanks

First, I'm defintely no expert. There is something I believe is called the English patent breech in which the breech face, instead of being flat, is countersunk with the flash channel entering at the rear. This provides for a more consistent ingition and supposedly a increase in velocity. Perhaps due to a more complete or even powder burn. I don't know what T/C uses. Maybe someone here is familiar with their innards and can share the knowledge?

RedFeather

T/C uses a patent breach. Their cleaning jags have a step which is supposed to help clean it.

Back