• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

best non-fouling powder for 32

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crowtalks

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I have gotten back into muzzleloading after a couple of decade hiatus.

I have a couple of 32s and I was wondering what the best performing, but least fouling powder to get for the smaller caliber?

Thanks

I shoot 32s almost exclusively and you are going to hear every powder known to man. I shoot a lot of standard 3F Goex with no issues. I have shot Swiss 3f a little harder fouling but no more of a problem to clean up. I also use plenty of Goex Olde Eynsford 3F again no problems. My advice would be any 3F you can get will work. some a little more power, Olde E and Swiss and some a little dirtier Goex.

I shoot 32s almost exclusively and you are going to hear every powder known to man. I shoot a lot of standard 3F Goex with no issues. I have shot Swiss 3f a little harder fouling but no more of a problem to clean up. I also use plenty of Goex Olde Eynsford 3F again no problems. My advice would be any 3F you can get will work. some a little more power, Olde E and Swiss and some a little dirtier Goex.

What kind of 32 ya shooting brother?

Thanks for the replies. I have a couple of pounds of 777 and the other day I picked up 1# of Goex 3F. I guess I will go back and get some more of the Goex.

I have a Crockett and a Pendersoli Kentucky Flintlock.

That pound of Goex will provide a lot of shootin but make sure you have a good supply of powder.

Thanks for the replies. I have a couple of pounds of 777 and the other day I picked up 1# of Goex 3F. I guess I will go back and get some more of the Goex.

I have a Crockett and a Pendersoli Kentucky Flintlock.
Most any powder can work, but many develop a preference for a particular powder for various reasons. Me, I like 3F Swiss in my 32s with an oversized hard felt wad over the powder, topped with a wet patched roundball. The felt wad protects my 12-15 grain charge from the wet patch. Personal opinion is T7 results in a harder crust in the bore that had to be dealt with, and Goex is a bit less accurate, at least in my guns, though not by much.

Nobody here can tell you absolutely what will work best. That will be your call after actual time at the range.

I have gotten back into muzzleloading after a couple of decade hiatus.

I have a couple of 32s and I was wondering what the best performing, but least fouling powder to get for the smaller caliber?

Swab after every shot...

No, seriously, not being flippant..., the tiny .32 is most prone to fouling, even from the "cleanest" burning powder. The .32 ramrod by default when wood, is also the most fragile. Add to that if there is good humidity OR it's a foggy day, etc...even on the range and not walking about in the woods or fields, you will get more fouling, so...swab after every shot if you don't already.

LD

I had an odd feeling Britsmoothy would suggest that. 10 grains of 4 F = 700 shots a pound. Ive got plenty of 3f Swiss, Goex and Goex Olde E But who knows. SDSMLF what size over powder card do you use for your 32 and where can I get some to try out.

Use any black powder you have, I use 2F because that's what I have the most of and it works just fine in my Douglas barrel. I can shoot as long as I want without fouling being a problem. If I had 50 lbs of 3F or 4F I would use one of them but I don't. I guess I don't think 1F is a good idea.
Use a spit patch and that's all you need.

Don't over complicate something that is simple.

All muzzle loading powders will leave fouling of some sort. Even the cleanest of the true black powders will leave some carbon based fouling. Triple 7 or Pyrodex will leave less of the carbon based fouling, but a corrosive fouling is left in the barrel and that must be cleaned out. Triple 7 may be the powder to consider. It has low apparent fouling, can be ignited with percussion caps, and is readily available when compared to real black powder. Now I have to clean off my keyboard for recommending a substitute black powder.

Swab after every shot...

No, seriously, not being flippant..., the tiny .32 is most prone to fouling, even from the "cleanest" burning powder. The .32 ramrod by default when wood, is also the most fragile. Add to that if there is good humidity OR it's a foggy day, etc...even on the range and not walking about in the woods or fields, you will get more fouling, so...swab after every shot if you don't already.

LD

Good advice, thanks!

I shoot a 32, a 50, two 54's and a 62 smoothbore. (another month or so I'll have a 45 as well)
I use a spit patch, been doing it since the 70's.
I will use a tallow, mink oil or ballistol patch if its going to be loaded for more than say... about an hour.

I have never wiped between shots and do not understand why people do, to each his own.
I blow down the barrel, I believe that is why my fouling stays soft.

Back