• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best Renegade Load?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekyle

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Just picked up a .54 caliber renegade percussion.
If I am not mistaken, the twist should be 1/48

My question is what DEER HUNTING combo for powder/patch/ball and powder/patch/conical have you guys had the best luck with.

I plan on practicing alot but needed a place to start.

I've got three of them all in .54 caliber. I get best accuracy with 85-90 grains of Goex 2f and a moosemilk patched .530 roundball. This is a very accurate load and has excellent knockdown power.

Just picked up a .54 caliber renegade percussion.
If I am not mistaken, the twist should be 1/48

My question is what DEER HUNTING combo for powder/patch/ball and powder/patch/conical have you guys had the best luck with.

I plan on practicing alot but needed a place to start.

FWIW, I like max/near-max charges for hunting loads and use the following in both the T/C 1:48" and 1:66" barrels:

90grns Goex 3F
Oxyoke wonderwad
.018" prelubed pillow ticking
Hornady .530

(For weekend range plinking, I use 50grns Goex 3F and no wonderwad)

PRB BP Hunting1:
90gr Swiss 3FG.
Wonderwad
.530" Hornady roundball
.018" lubed ticking patch.

PRB BP Target/Small game1:
40gr Swiss 3FG.
.530" Hornady roundball
.015" lubed cotton patch.

PRB Hunting 2:
85gr Hodgdon 777 3FG.
Wonderwad
.530" Hornady roundball

PRB BP Target/Small game 2:
40gr Hodgdon 777 3FG
.530" Hornady roundball
.015" lubed cotton patch

PRB Hunting 3:
100gr Black Mag'3.
Wonderwad
.530" Hornady roundball

PRB BP Target/Small game 3:
45gr Black Mag'3.
.530" Hornady roundball
.015" lubed cotton patch

Conical BP Hunting1:
95gr Swiss 3FG or 90gr 777 3FG
Wonderwad
410gr Hornady Great Plains

Conical BP Hunting2:
70gr Swiss 3FG or 80gr 777 3FG.
Wonderwad
435gr T/C Maxi-Hunter

Conical BP Hunting3:
80gr Swiss 3FG or 95gr 777 3FG
405gr, Powerbelt Copper AeroTip

Killed my first blackpowder buck with Dad's .54 Renegade using 90 grains 2f and T.C. Maxi-Ball. Dropped in its tracks with shoulder shot at 75 - 80 yards.

I have two .54 Renegades. One is a flinter & the other is percussion. In my opinion, most people use more powder than is necessary. I use 80 gr. of Goex FFg with a patch & ball for big game. I've taken whitetail deer & one black bear with this load & in every instance the shot has been a complete pass thru. Plenty of energy for the job with this load. Find your most accurate load & hunt with it.
:imo:

We recently saw a video of a BP rifle being fired in extreme slow motion. The interesting thing was the amount of unburned powder exiting the muzzle. I ahve been using 90gr. in my .54's with good results.

Not sure what he was using for patch material but when my buddy went from Goex 2F too 3F, his 120 grain load started grouping for him. 5 or 6 elk have fallen to this load. I would think that a 85-90 grains of FFF should work just fine for deer.

Get some wonderwads and put them over your powder, they sometimes help with accuracy and will keep your patches from tearing with high pressure loads. :results:

Back