• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Beware the Bobcat !!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Want to pass this along in case lightning does strike twice...

Some friends and I found ourselves turkey hunting in Kentucky this past weekend and had a close call you wouldn't imagine.

My friend was atop a sharp ridge and had not even called in the grey of the pre-dawn when he was assaulted by a bobcat from behind!

He had moved quietly along the ridgetop and stopped to listen for gobbles. Less than a minute later the bobcat struck his back/neck area. It's front legs and paws wrapped around his neck.

His only injury was a slashed left ear. We realize it could have been a lot worse (and thankful that it wasn't).

After talking it over with us later, we have decided that the cat came from a deep hollow. Upon cresting the ridge, it must have seen my friends Jake decoy in his vest.

The neck and head of the decoy were visible and resting just below his neck.

No tall tale. It happened.

Hopefully lightning won't strike twice.

Good hunting, Skychief.

I can believe it. I saw the biggest male this last season I've ever seen in my life. He was a full 3 feet long, not counting the tail and had to weigh 40 or more pounds. Didn't even know they got that big, but the mammal books say yes. Wouldn't want that kitty coming after me!

Now that it is a story to pass down to your grandkids? Wow! First, I am very happy that everyone is okay. Second, what are the odds on that happening? I have never heard of that before.

Just to reinforce what happened to you, I had a bobcat once come within a few feet of me in the early morning light. I was turkey hunting and sitting under a tree while doing some light hen yelping. I heard a noise over my left shoulder and thought it might be a turkey. Nope, it was a bobcat and I was surprised at how close he got in the dry leaves without being heard. Had I had a decoy stuffed under my leg or in my vest, who knows? I just stayed put and he slipped on away and never made me. I remember thinking to myself how beautiful they were.

Jeff

I'm amazed at the damage a 12 pound housecat can do, much less a 40 lb bobcat. I can't even imagine how you would deal with a 500 lb lion!! Maybe with a .416 Rigby? :) Just kidding, maybe a .75 bore front loader would get it done, I just hope I never have to find out.

Jeff

I use to call varmints a lot, both during the daylight and after dark.

When I could find someone to hunt with, I would use an electronic call and a decoy. If I could not find someone to hunt with, I would hunt with a mouth blown call.

I was calling one night when it was cold and had a stocking hat on to keep warm. An owl keyed in on the call noise and took my hat off with his claws. That was the last time I called at night with a mouth blown call. I only use one now if I am in a blind.

I have called coyotes to within 20 feet, things can and do happen.

Thats a cool, but scary story. I have no doubt that it happened, I've had some pretty realistic decoys that have fooled other hunters and almost got one of my deer decoys shot. If a decoy could fool a human, it surely could fool a bobcat, coyote or other predators in the area.

Did he go for a Rabies shot?

Bobcats are real seclusive in my neck of NY. I would think something was off with that kitty. Too early for the catnip to be out.

:doh: I didn't clarify my previous post. Since we were talking turkey hunting, I neglected to say that it was turkey calls that the coyotes and occasional bobcat came running into.

That sort of thing is becoming more & more common. = One of our archers out at the big lease near Mountain Home, TX recently was "stalked by " a puma to "uncomfortable closeness".
(The cat "departed the scene" when our member fired a .357Mag revolver in that direction.)

At our 2 leased ranches, the biggest danger is generally feral hogs & packs of "ugly-tempered" & aggressive coy-dogs.
(We are thinning out both of those, as we are able.)

yours, satx

A few years ago was turkey hunting on Ft. Sill Okla, you had to come in at lunch to draw for your area for the next days hunt then you could go back out, young soldier came back in an basically told the same story, He set up under a tree next to a field in the dark an as dawn started lighting up the area he started calling, the second time he hit his call a bobcat landed on his head out of the tree, not sure who was more startled the young soldier or the cat once he realized he didn't land on a turkey, but its safe to say it was to late for toilet paper, there is a large population of bobcats here an listening to him tell the story an the look on his face was priceless.

A thought too consider since blood was drawn....Rabies. 99% likely the cat is not rabid and did attack the decoy but if one waits until symptoms appear one ALWAYS dies (except Jarod Barkley in "The Big Valley" he lived many more episodes.

Something to think about? :idunno:

Holy cow Skychief! That's amazing. I've read about the frequency of bobcat and Mt. Lion attacks in Old Indiana. It was said you had to watch out for Indian ambush if traveling the old Buffalo Trace, but bobcat and Mt. Lion's were the #1 problem on that trail.

I'm assuming you were in Indiana? Whereabouts were you?

i like to call predators on foggy mornings. Got to be careful because the cats and coyotes often barrel right in; they can be on top of you very quickly. One needs a shotgun for that.

We were in Southern Kentucky Trench.

For those that have suggested rabies as a possibility, it was a concern for me too.

I have been told that it is only transmitted from saliva during a bite.

His ear was cut by the cats claws. He wouldn't go see a doctor for it.

While calling coyotes in the East Mojave with my .53 cal. Jed Smith Hawken replica, had a coyote come in from the right coming full speed. Before I could get the gun around he hit me and we both went tumbling. He ended up stratling me. I yelled at him and kicked him off with my boot. He ran straight away from me and just as I pulled the trigger he dove at a right angle into the creosote and the ball hit where he was not. It does get spooky in the weeds. They can get under the guns.

Back