• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

big game with smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkmemmott

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone had experience hunting big game such as elk,moose,bison,etc. with a smoothbore and what caliber works best with a round ball for this type of hunting?

I've taken bear with a 20 guage Caywood and a large wild boar.Bison have very large lungs so a heart shot will put them down quickly.A .595 or .600 ball is the perfect projectile. It's not to heavy and not to light.
Nit Wit

Bud of mine has used nothing but a 62 for the last 40 years. Elk, moose, black bear, and lotsa deer. He just finished a build on a 72 cal swap barrel with smooth and rifled barrels. He reports he'll get around to shooting the rifled barrel "someday," but I kinda doubt it. He's been a smoothie guy so long, I can't see it.

BTW- He's a superb hunter, but only a so-so shot on the range. Just something clicks in his brain when there's paper in front of him, but go for a walk in the bush to shoot rocks, sticks and ice chunks and he's accurate to surprising ranges. I watched him make a stalk on a deer on an open grassy hillside, and by my watch it took him over 2 hours to cover 150 yards to get within 50 yards of the deer and take it. The deer got so relaxed it actually bedded down with him in plain sight and not 100 yards away- or did it just get bored and tired of waiting for him? :rotf:

BrownBear said:
Bud of mine has used nothing but a 62 for the last 40 years. Elk, moose, black bear, and lotsa deer. He just finished a build on a 72 cal swap barrel with smooth and rifled barrels. He reports he'll get around to shooting the rifled barrel "someday," but I kinda doubt it. He's been a smoothie guy so long, I can't see it.

BTW- He's a superb hunter, but only a so-so shot on the range. Just something clicks in his brain when there's paper in front of him, but go for a walk in the bush to shoot rocks, sticks and ice chunks and he's accurate to surprising ranges. I watched him make a stalk on a deer on an open grassy hillside, and by my watch it took him over 2 hours to cover 150 yards to get within 50 yards of the deer and take it. The deer got so relaxed it actually bedded down with him in plain sight and not 100 yards away- or did it just get bored and tired of waiting for him? :rotf:

Hey! That describes me too :haha:

Brits.

Back